Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Displaying a subset of data based on properties in columns

I have a list of items that have some properties, 12 properties to be more precise. As a user I would like to be able to select a property and view the subset of item that have that property. 

Here is some sample data: 
pilt1.PNG

An ugly solution is to have a slicer for each property and a table that reacts to the slicer. 

pilt2.PNG

A much more user friendly picture would include a place to select "Items with propery1", "Items with property2" etc.

I can imagine a solution with bookmarks, but it would be a huge effort to build. There would have to be a button for each property, the bookmark would display a table with the specific slicer applied and hide all other tables.

Any better ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k, thank you, unpivot is indeed the key. I can't do it in PowerQuery because the properties are in fact calculated columns, but using the DAX solution for unpivoting, I could make it work.

Representing the data slightly differently:
pilt4.PNG

I can generate a new table by:

Slicer Table = FILTER(
    UNION(
        SELECTCOLUMNS(ItemTableNew;"Items";ItemTableNew[Items];"Properties";ItemTableNew[Property1]);
        SELECTCOLUMNS(ItemTableNew;"Items";ItemTableNew[Items];"Properties";ItemTableNew[Property2]);
        SELECTCOLUMNS(ItemTableNew;"Items";ItemTableNew[Items];"Properties";ItemTableNew[Property3])
    );
    [Properties]<>"")

which will be the unpivoted list like this:

pilt5.PNG

Now I can use a slicer on this list:

pilt6.PNG

which is what I was hoping to achieve. Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

>>A much more user friendly picture would include a place to select "Items with propery1", "Items with property2" etc.

Could you please share more information about your visualize? It would be better if you can share the target image.

Best Regards,

Teige

Anonymous
Not applicable

I imagined the target visualisation like this:

pilt3.PNG

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you should unpivot your table in Power Query and that will do it

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k, thank you, unpivot is indeed the key. I can't do it in PowerQuery because the properties are in fact calculated columns, but using the DAX solution for unpivoting, I could make it work.

Representing the data slightly differently:
pilt4.PNG

I can generate a new table by:

Slicer Table = FILTER(
    UNION(
        SELECTCOLUMNS(ItemTableNew;"Items";ItemTableNew[Items];"Properties";ItemTableNew[Property1]);
        SELECTCOLUMNS(ItemTableNew;"Items";ItemTableNew[Items];"Properties";ItemTableNew[Property2]);
        SELECTCOLUMNS(ItemTableNew;"Items";ItemTableNew[Items];"Properties";ItemTableNew[Property3])
    );
    [Properties]<>"")

which will be the unpivoted list like this:

pilt5.PNG

Now I can use a slicer on this list:

pilt6.PNG

which is what I was hoping to achieve. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.