Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JavierGold
Regular Visitor

Displaying a measure total that ignores date slicer

I'm trying to use a measure to calc a total budget for the year to use in a gauge.   my formula is:

BudgetTotal = CALCULATE(sum('2017FinancialData'[Total]),'2017FinancialData'[type] = "Budget",All('2017FinancialData'[Total]))

I have a date slicer on the report that allows a user to select a date range...however, it is converting the measure to a YTD value instead of a Total for the Year.   How do I have this measure ignore the date slicer that I have on the report?

Thanks!

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just general "best practices" to have a separate calendar table, and power bi helps you via CALENDARAUTO( ) function if you don't have one easily.  The idea is that you want a calendar w/ no "gaps" (missing days) ... and also fewer rows than would typically be in your large fact table.

Ignoring that if you want...  I would expect something more like:

BudgetTotal = CALCULATE(sum('2017FinancialData'[Total]),'2017FinancialData'[type] = "Budget",All('2017FinancialData'[DateField]))

But you need to keep it in the same year, so you would need a year column in your table and add it to your All as AllExcept or add another param to calculate that is VALUES(MyTable[Year]).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically, you would have a separate data/calendar table, and that is where the slicer would come from... AND... where the dax measure should filter.

Your final ALL( ) looks a bit weird to me, I would expect something clearing some date fields instead.

Yeah...the All() was just an attempt to get the total.  

The data table has both budget and actual rows that includes a column for the date that each row is for.   I'm don't see how I could separate the date from that table?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just general "best practices" to have a separate calendar table, and power bi helps you via CALENDARAUTO( ) function if you don't have one easily.  The idea is that you want a calendar w/ no "gaps" (missing days) ... and also fewer rows than would typically be in your large fact table.

Ignoring that if you want...  I would expect something more like:

BudgetTotal = CALCULATE(sum('2017FinancialData'[Total]),'2017FinancialData'[type] = "Budget",All('2017FinancialData'[DateField]))

But you need to keep it in the same year, so you would need a year column in your table and add it to your All as AllExcept or add another param to calculate that is VALUES(MyTable[Year]).

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.