Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SamTrott
Helper I
Helper I

Displaying Value as Percent of Month rather than Grand Total

This is a issue which creates a lot of topics but since every is using very different data sources the answer is always different, its something Excel does with ease so its frustrating that its simply not present in BI.

So I have a Graph that looks like so, what I want is instead of displaying the actual value I'd like it as a percentage for that month. Currently the only option is to show the values as percentage of grand total.

Screenshot_2.jpg

The value in this case is a measure which counts all the rows in a table. Each record has a date entry and a case type entry (among others). 

Please let me know if you need anymore information to help me overcome this hurdle. My knowledge of how to create measures is very limited 😞 so any documentation that may help me get a better grasp of how to write them would be helpful too.

Thanks,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @SamTrott ,

You can create the following measure:

Volume percentang = 
DIVIDE (
    [Volume],
    CALCULATE ( [Volume], ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[case type] ) )
)
Results are as follows:
11.PNG

Here is a demo, please try it:
Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @SamTrott ,

You can create the following measure:

Volume percentang = 
DIVIDE (
    [Volume],
    CALCULATE ( [Volume], ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[case type] ) )
)
Results are as follows:
11.PNG

Here is a demo, please try it:
Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-joesh-msft ,

Thank you for your rseponse, unfortunately this does not seem to have worked. Using the fields and tables names for my data source I tried both 

Volume percentage = 
DIVIDE (
    'dAccount'[Count of Cases Created],
    CALCULATE ( 'dAccount'[Count of Cases Created], ALLSELECTED ( 'fIncident'[Case Type] ) )
)

and

Volume percentage = 
DIVIDE (
    [Count of Cases Created],
    CALCULATE ( [Count of Cases Created], ALLSELECTED ( 'fIncident'[Case Type] ) )
)

but both display the graph like so

Screenshot_2.png

The proportions of the bars seems to be correct but the Data labels are obviously not. 

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Hi @SamTrott ,

You can check if the measure format is set correctly, as shown in the figure below, select the measure “Volume percentage”—Formatting, and then you can adjust the format accordingly.

34.PNG33.PNG

Best Regards,

Hi @v-joesh-msft ,

Thanks that has indeed fixed labels. I've marked your first response as the solution since it contained the relevant measure I was missing.

Thank you for your help.

Regard,

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.