cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Displaying Duration in visuals

I am using an MDX cube with a direct connection so i am unable to calculate duration.  Also using Power BI Report server if that makes any difference.   There is no duration data type as far as I know.  What is the best way to display this, using text is obviously not the ideal.

Just wondering what other people have been doing?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.
Proud a to be a Datanaut!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Displaying Duration in visuals

Yeah, unfortunately live connections to multidimensional MDX cubes do not support either DAX calculated columns or DAX calculated measures.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Yeah, it's an issue that I have been discussing for like two years now, the lack of a true duration data type or format display in DAX. Generally, you have to do things as discussed in this article:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Aggregating-Duration-Time/ba-p/22486

Obviously it ends up as text, which is the issue I've discussed with the product team at the last MVP conference. 

I also have a Quick Measure for doing the reverse:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Duration-to-Seconds-Converter/m-p/342279

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Super User
Super User

@Greg_Deckler - thanks problem is im using a direct connection to a multi dimensional cube, any suggestions around that

Super User
Super User

Oh shoot, you did say that. Let me see if I can work up a way to do it with valid DAX functions in DirectQuery.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Super User
Super User

@Greg_Deckler sorry thats live query connection to SSAS MDX, so i have 0 control  of creating any measure too.. guess it will have to be text then?

Super User
Super User

Yeah, unfortunately live connections to multidimensional MDX cubes do not support either DAX calculated columns or DAX calculated measures.

Proud to be a Datanaut!