Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Morten_DK
Helper I
Helper I

Display total on top of stacked chart

I have a stacked chart and I would like to have display the total for each column. If I in format pane switches "Data Labels" on I get the data label pr part of the stacked column instead of the total for the column.

Can I somehow get the total?

Also can I change the way the data labels are displayed - it is displayed in thousands, but my figures are already in thousands. So I get thousands of thousands?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Morten. We don't have that functionality out-of-the-box yet, but you could try creating the same chart but not with the series, turn on data labels and then place it exactly behind the first one. You'll find X/Y/Width/Height settings boxes in the formatting pane to help position it. Bit of a workaround but might get what you want! You'll also find settings to control the Display Units in the formatting pane too. Hope that helps! Will

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Hi Will.

Thanks for your reply - I will try and make it work 🙂

Best regards

Morten

I came accross the same issue,

I've made a work around by simply using 'Line and Stacked Column Chart', setting the line value as the total quantity, same result, just have lines running through your graph. Could always change the colour of line to something subtle? 

Capture.PNG

Elliott, I have tried you solution but labels are not displayed for the "top" series (purple in your case). For the "bottom" series and the line chart they are displayed correctly. It seems I cannot use the same variable for both "Column values" and "Line values". I am using, for example, Sales for both of them. How can I solve this?

Hi.

Let me explain better...

I have financial data received in different banks. I would like to display Date on X-Axis and Net Income on Y-Axis (divided into the two possible banks). I am using the following configuration for "Line and stacked column chart":

• Shared axis: Date
  • Column series: Bank
  • Column values: Net Income
  • Line values: Net Income

If I let "Line values" empty, labels are OK, but the Total of two columns are not displayed.

When I include "Line values" equals to "Column values", Total is displayed, but labels for top column is empty.

Hi Glaubeferreria,

Sorry for the late response, have just logged back in after a while out.

I believe I understand what you are trying to explain,

I have just setup a quick template with the similar kind of layout that you are describing.

I believe that this issue could well be with the physical formatting of the graph rather than a data issue.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

I believe that the reason you may not be able to see total could be due to the size of your graphs?

If you see the 2 above screenshots I have taken, I have simply only resized the graphs and as you can see I have lost most of my data labels for my "Green" area.

Unfortunately, I do not believe there is any way around this due to the size formatting of the graph. I would recommend playing around with the size of the graph to see if it makes any difference, you can also try and change the label size but there is a minimum limit of 8pt.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.