Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Morten_DK
Helper I
Helper I

Display total on top of stacked chart

I have a stacked chart and I would like to have display the total for each column. If I in format pane switches "Data Labels" on I get the data label pr part of the stacked column instead of the total for the column.

Can I somehow get the total?

Also can I change the way the data labels are displayed - it is displayed in thousands, but my figures are already in thousands. So I get thousands of thousands?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Morten. We don't have that functionality out-of-the-box yet, but you could try creating the same chart but not with the series, turn on data labels and then place it exactly behind the first one. You'll find X/Y/Width/Height settings boxes in the formatting pane to help position it. Bit of a workaround but might get what you want! You'll also find settings to control the Display Units in the formatting pane too. Hope that helps! Will

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
john_o
Frequent Visitor

The workarounds adds silly complexity. Perhaps we as a community could push this idea through https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32082391-totals-in-stacked-column...

marija

Could you, please, finally create this functionality? I wanted to stop using Thinkcell and switch to PowerBi but your Stacked bar charts are useless for me without this functionality. It shouldn't be so difficult to create one button. This problem is addresed already in 2015...

blanca12

I have financial data received in different banks. I would like to display Date on X-Axis and Net Income on Y-Axis (divided into the two possible banks).

https://cleanmaster.me/

https://downloader.vip/facebook-lite/

https://mathway.vip/

Elves_Bells

• Select the stacked bar\line graph.
  • Then, in the Format toolbar.
    • Shapes>Set stroke width to '0'

Appears to work for me 🙂

This answer should be pinned,

The solution is great

Thanks @Elves_Bells 

Anonymous
Not applicable

THIS should be marked as the solution. This is the best way workaround by far.

what if i need to present valid column values and line values, eg. column as aobsoulte value and line as percentage/margin...in this case, i can't replace the total /sum as line chat value, as it requires me to give up the %

wasim
Frequent Visitor

Frustrated that PBI does not have a simple Total to a stacked column/bar graph I am now using matrix tables on my graphs. I have multi periods and therefore the card method is not ideal. 

Steps: Create a Matrix Table >> Change Column Header Font Color & Background to White >> Turn off the Auto-Size for Column Headers >> Outline to None >> Do the same for Row Headers>> Change Grid Outline color to white >> Send the Matrix Table to back.

Flaw: When the periods change the column width changes as well. 

Hope this helps. It is not perfect but at least takes care of multi-period bar graphs provided the number of periods is constant. 

Chocolate.JPG

menelaos1983
Advocate II
Advocate II

Come on guys, it's been YEARS and we still don't have this BASIC functionality. Literally EVERY time I use a stacked bar chart I get the same reaction "but what's the total? That's useless". Seriously I don't understand what's happening here!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask #1)  Be able to control the Line color in the stacked column / line charts with "no fill" option so that it isn't visible or disturb the columns as the previous screen-shots have shown.

Ask#2) Add the Line value label independent properties (font size, font, etc.) 

Ideally, I'd like to have access to all visible properties similar to SSRS. as a wish!

rocco_guidetti
Regular Visitor

Hi Morten,

I recently run through the same obstacle. I solved it using a Card (Visualizations) with the same values and filters as the stached chart and than placing the card just above the desiderd chart column. It works perfectly! 

Whatever other filter you will apply to that report page it will be applied automatically at the stached chart and to the Card.

I hope it was useful!

Rocco.

Thanks for this suggestion - it worked perfectly for what I needed as well!

Hello, 

I was wondering if there were any way to only display the line graph data points. My data becomes too cluttered if I have both data points on it.

Thank you,

Anais 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create measure of total and take line chart and Stacked Combo.To hide the line, you can change the line colour to the background of the you report/Chart and in shape option you can change the line style to dotted.

I did that earlier but the line graph 'text' will show up in the legend right?

Hello, 

I was wondering if there were any way to only display the line graph data points. My data becomes too cluttered if I have both data points on it.

Thank you,

Anais 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using a line and column stacked chart and making the line "invisible" by setting the stroke width to zero, always works for me. You should try it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make stacked bar and line graph separately. line them up until they overlap how you want (you can turn title and legend and axes off).

only turn labels on for line graph.

rocco_guidetti
Regular Visitor

Hi Morten,

I recently run through the same obstacle. I solved it using a Card (Visualizations) with the same values and filters as the stached chart and than placing the card just above the desiderd chart column. It works perfectly! 

Whatever other filter you will apply to that report page it will be applied automatically at the stached chart and to the Card.

I hope it was useful!

Rocco.

WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Morten. We don't have that functionality out-of-the-box yet, but you could try creating the same chart but not with the series, turn on data labels and then place it exactly behind the first one. You'll find X/Y/Width/Height settings boxes in the formatting pane to help position it. Bit of a workaround but might get what you want! You'll also find settings to control the Display Units in the formatting pane too. Hope that helps! Will

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors