Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

steambucky
Helper III
Helper III

Display top 3 filter - seeking advice.

Hello

There are many examples of how to display a TOP 3 of your values of data, but my data is just text, not numbers.

For example if my data was looking at the top 3 animal types that appear in our data,

If the data is:

Animal Type

Dog

Dog

Cat

Cat

Mouse

Mouse

Snake

The top 3 would only display Dog, Cats and Mice.

I have looked here at RANKX Function (DAX)  : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/dax/rankx-function-dax

You would use this function and then filter the results yes?

Think is i have to add up my animal types to give the data any newmerical value and I am confused how to do this. This was the the example they had.

=RANKX(ALL(Products), SUMX(RELATEDTABLE(InternetSales), [SalesAmount]))   Not sure where to go from here...

any help welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

If so, you can do this just using the filter options.  I have attached a PBIX file

image.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

If so, you can do this just using the filter options.  I have attached a PBIX file

image.png

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks everyone for the support - a non-coding solution works best for me -  I am NOT a super user...(yet)

CHEERS!

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @steambucky,

Based on the example that you have given I have derived my below suggestion. Hope this suits your need!!

As you need to display only the TOP 3 Animals, there is no doubt that you need some column based on which you will define the TOP 3. For this purpose I am considering a pet shop data and that I have an additional no column for each of the animals. In my case it is the "no. sold"column of the below example

DimensionDimension

Data TableData Table

I join these two table based on ID.

Now when I drag the columns Name and Nos. Sold to a table, I will get the sold quantity split by animal

Here is where my Rank Measure comes into picture. It is as follows

Rank Animals = RANKX(ALL(Animal),SUMX(RELATEDTABLE('Animal Sales'), 'Animal Sales'[Nos]),,DESC,Dense)

The Above measure gives me the Rank of animals by Quantity Sold and my table will look like the one below

Animal Table showing Ranks as the last columnAnimal Table showing Ranks as the last column

Now to show only the TOP 3 Animals, add the measure as a filter to the table and remove the other unwanted columns as shown below

Top 3 FilteredTop 3 Filtered

Best Regards

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

So do you want to display the top three (Dog, Cat& Mouse), ranked by the count of times they occur in your dataset?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.