cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KellyDittmar Helper II
Helper II

Display sliced totals + grand Total on the same chart

I have a few line & bar charts similiar to the attached with show information based on departments. I have a request that in the tooltip I show not only the value per department - but also the total sum of all departments (in this case 4,732,413). The data source is a tabular cube and the value is a measure within the cube.

I searched thru the options for the charts and seeing nothing there I believe I need some DAX to accomplish this? So far, I am unsuccessful at writing any DAX that when combined into this chart avoids being filtered by department... Is there anyone who can give me a hint to get me started on the right path? 

The line chart and the bar chart are two different areas of my same tabular cube - and both have the same request to have the grand total as well as the sliced values... (edited to add that second photo)

line chart.jpg

bar chart.jpg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tmckenzie Resolver II
Resolver II

Re: Display sliced totals + grand Total on the same chart

Sorry, I misread your question. You only need the second half of that divide function I gave. Hence
Calculate ([value]), ALL(table[department]))
This should provide you a value of the sum without the department's filtering the value.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tmckenzie Resolver II
Resolver II

Divide([value], calculate ([value], all(table[department])))

A modification of that should be close to what you are looking for. Check out the documentation for the ALL Dax function.
KellyDittmar Helper II
Helper II

I'm a little confused - I already have the divided value - I need the summed value... 

Both Calculate & All display the sliced value when added as a measure to the tooltip. 

tmckenzie Resolver II
Resolver II

Sorry, I misread your question. You only need the second half of that divide function I gave. Hence
Calculate ([value]), ALL(table[department]))
This should provide you a value of the sum without the department's filtering the value.

View solution in original post

tmckenzie Resolver II
Resolver II

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634802.aspx
This is how the all function works.

Hopefully I haven't misunderstood you this time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors