Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fafhrd
Frequent Visitor

Display results in sub table only when cross filtered by main table

I have a "main" table and a "sub" table.

I want users to select a record from the main table and see the related sub records in the sub table.

This works as per the default cross filtering functionality. The problem is when nothing is selected in the main table, then every sub record is displayed in the sub table. I want records in the sub table hidden unless the user selects a record in the main table. Is this possible and if so, how do I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
smpa01
Super User
Super User

@fafhrd a solution I can think of is not having the sub table on the home page at all, but on a different tooltip page. Then connect that tooltip page as a tooltip for the main table, so that when the audience hovers over the values in the main table, they see the filtered sub-site in the tooltip.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
smpa01
Super User
Super User

@fafhrd a solution I can think of is not having the sub table on the home page at all, but on a different tooltip page. Then connect that tooltip page as a tooltip for the main table, so that when the audience hovers over the values in the main table, they see the filtered sub-site in the tooltip.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
fafhrd
Frequent Visitor

I'm going to mark your solution as accepted because it does achieve my goal using native functionality although not aesthetically in the way I want it to.

However I'll probably go ahead and create an elaborate workaround using ideas from here:

Show or Hide a Power BI Visual Based on Selection 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Thanks for your reply.

I have seen that page in my Google search for the answer. I am aware of other workarounds that involve selectively changing the background colour using DAX and ISFILTERED or HASONEVALUE.

However, before going for an "ugly" workaround I wanted to make sure there wasn't an in-built "elegant" way to do it so I wouldn't look silly building an elaborate workaround for something that could be done natively.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.