Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Display original values and their difference in the same table

Hi,

I would like to have something like this displayed in a table in PowerBI. I have the Year values (the original ones) and I want to make the difference between them.

The catch is that every month I need to make a new difference (like using a filter), but have it all displayed in a table. Is this even possible? 

CompanyYearValue
A2019 jan20
A2018 jan5
Adifference15
B2019 jan16
B2018 jan6
Bdifference10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

I just created a sample pbix file, please check check whether that is what you want.

Table 2 = UNION(VALUES('Table'[Date]),ROW("Date","difference between 2020 and 2019"))
Measure = 
var _curYear= CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Number of accidents]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Company name]=MAX('Table'[Company name])&&'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])))
var _preYear=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Number of accidents]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Company name]=MAX('Table'[Company name])&&'Table'[Date]=MIN('Table'[Date])))
return switch(SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[Date]),"difference between 2020 and 2019",_curYear-_preYear, CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Number of accidents]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Company name]=MAX('Table'[Company name]))))

Display original values and their difference in the same table.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can refer the contents in the following links to achieve it:

Using SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR To Compare The Difference Between This Year & Last Year

Calculating the difference between a specific month, and the following months

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to you both. I've managed to get the difference between the months I wanted (selected by a filter), but I can't display that in the format I need, since the original values are in a column and the difference in a measure format.   Is it possible to achieve that? I mean like this the table I posted above?

Hi @Anonymous ,

What's your expected result? Could you please just make examples to explain? Then we can provide you a proper solution. Thank you.

Best Regards

Rena

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry in advance if I dont use the correct terms, since I'm kinda new to PBI.

So, simplifying, I have this data with the following columns: Company names, Date, Number of acidents.

And what I want is 2 things:

1. Calculate the difference between 2 months (like jan 2018 and jan 2019). This I could achieve using a measure.

2. I want to display it in a table format like (its my company way of display, so I cant change that):

Company nameDateNº acidents
Ajan 202020
Ajan 201915
Adifference between 2020 and 20195
Bjan 20205
Bjan 20192
Bdifference between 2020 and 20193

Each month I need to filter the information. So, since we are in july, I need do show the july results. Next month I need to show the august results and so on..

Is this even achievable? Since I have the "original data" in a column format and the difference between months in a measure format.

Thanks for your help!

Hi @Anonymous ,

I just created a sample pbix file, please check check whether that is what you want.

Table 2 = UNION(VALUES('Table'[Date]),ROW("Date","difference between 2020 and 2019"))
Measure = 
var _curYear= CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Number of accidents]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Company name]=MAX('Table'[Company name])&&'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])))
var _preYear=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Number of accidents]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Company name]=MAX('Table'[Company name])&&'Table'[Date]=MIN('Table'[Date])))
return switch(SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[Date]),"difference between 2020 and 2019",_curYear-_preYear, CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Number of accidents]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Company name]=MAX('Table'[Company name]))))

Display original values and their difference in the same table.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the late response, I was on holidays.

Back to the point, thanks a lot for your help! I think it is close but still not the final solution.

As you can se, the difference in company B is not 5. In your formula switch formula at some point you put a "5" where I think there needs to be the difference between the years. Right?

Still, I was not able to do it.. Any thoughts?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , assume you have only two months, you have to create a new table and join it with the first table

summarize( Table,table[Company], "Year",0, "Month ", [This Month] -[lastMonth])

DAx Join https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/from-sql-to-dax-joining-tables/

Month wise diff

https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-mtd-questions-time-intelligence-3-5-64b0b4a4090e

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.