Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vladisam
Helper II
Helper II

Display last n periods on a chart selecting last period on slicer

Hi community,

I am trying to build a report that will show number of active employees for last N periods with selection of single (last) period being done on a slicer. Last N periods are defined with "What-If" slicer (see the linked file).

I have 2 problems:

1. I am using DATESINPERIOD but it seems to be not working:

Actives (last n months) = 
CALCULATE (
    [Actives],
    DATESINPERIOD ( dimCalendar[Date], MAX ( dimCalendar[Date] ), -N[N Value], MONTH )
)+10

(I added 10 just to see two lines on a chart, when I put original measure (Actives) and the one for last n months expecting to see it just for specified period)

2. I used slicer for the date range, as with selection of single date (intended to be last reported date) chart shows only 1 data point instead of N periods - how do I implement single selection?

Here is the model:

PBIX file 

Vlad

2 REPLIES 2
Vladisam
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks @pranit828 

I would like to provide a user a flexibility of choosing of number of periods they want to see via "What-if" slicer. Relative date slicer works for sure, but is a bit too manual and I want to avoid that.  

I did tried SQL Jason's solution but it uses dates in fact table which is not applicable in my case as I have just 1 record for employee, on which i calculate status ("active employee") over multiple months (even years).

I thought there should be a standard technique that i am somehow missing. SQL Jason mentions disconnected date tables but I was not able to create one as CALENDAR function doesn't accept measure as input (i tried to get the date with the help of SELECTEDVALUE) or I can't make it work.

I am sure I am missing something very basic, but can't figure out what is it:(.

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @Vladisam 

I'd suggest you to use relative date slicer to select last N months to display corresponding records.

Use a relative date slicer and filter in Power BI Desktop

However, Check the following link about dynamic last n month based on slicer.

Display Last N Months & Selected Month using Single Date Dimension in Power BI

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.