Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rjs2
Resolver I
Resolver I

Display in card all selected values in a slicer

I want to be able to display one or all values selected in a slicer .

I tried this: CONCATENATEX(ALLSELECTED(Table.Column in slicer), Table.Column in slicer, " / ")

But it just gives me all values in the slicer regardless what is selected.  If I select one, I want only one return.  If I select multiple values in a slicer, then I want it to return just the ones that are selected.

The slicer is kept on a seperate page (a control panel page) and set to change the page I want it to change.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @rjs2 ,

Looks like you were pretty close, you don't need ALLSELECTED (this is a modifier for a CALCULATE function)

Is below what you're looking for

Concat = CONCATENATEX(Fruits,[Column1]," ,")

Concat.PNG

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Of course you know the data best, so I could be wrong, but in general it shouldn't matter if two Fact tables don't share all the same relationships. Of course if Program isn't an attribute of Surveys, it can't filter it, but Date is still an attribute of both

I've illustrated below based on how I'm understanding what you're describing.

In this case, your CONCATENATEX function would be based on [Dim Program][Program Label]

mattww_0-1636485344043.png

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a very simular question that I cannot seem to solve by myself.

I want the card to show "All Projects" if there aren't any filters applied.

And I want the card to show the name of the project when there is a filter applied in a slicer.

mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @rjs2 ,

Looks like you were pretty close, you don't need ALLSELECTED (this is a modifier for a CALCULATE function)

Is below what you're looking for

Concat = CONCATENATEX(Fruits,[Column1]," ,")

Concat.PNG

is fruits the table that hold the field column1?  when I do that, I just get one and it repeats it over and over

mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yeah, so the slicer holds the field Fruits.Column1. The slicer has multi-select enabled of course

Are the slicer values repeated many times in your source data? If so, you might want to split that table (in Power Query) out as it's own dimension, so there are no duplicates. I don't think DAX will be able to de-dupe itself

yes, its filtering call logs by program so there are many rows with the program name. 

I thought about creating a table of just the program name, but I have all my tables joined to a date table.  The only way I can think of doing it is having a program table for each table.  I was hoping the solution could be a DAX measure

mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @rjs2 ,

Even with a date table, you should still be able to join your central table to other dimensions. 

For most reports, you should be aiming for a "star" schema . . . a central table (a Fact table) containing the things you want to add up/aggregate related to several tables around it (Dimension tables) which are the attributes you want to filter by.

One of the Dimensions is your calendar, but another one could hold the attribute you're including in your slicer. As long as there is a many-to-one (dimension-to-fact) relationship between them all, it will work fine

It's not the easiest to explain over text, but I don't see your calendar table being something that should get in your way

I see what you are saying.   Part of the problem is I have multiple tables of facts.  One is the call log (which contains all info on the calls)  Then I have a seperate table (with call IDs too) of surveys that were left.  I have these 2 tables connected to my date table.  If I try to connect both to a program table, only one will have an active relationship.  The second one will not be an active relationship due to both sharing a relationship with the date table.

Does that make sense?

mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Of course you know the data best, so I could be wrong, but in general it shouldn't matter if two Fact tables don't share all the same relationships. Of course if Program isn't an attribute of Surveys, it can't filter it, but Date is still an attribute of both

I've illustrated below based on how I'm understanding what you're describing.

In this case, your CONCATENATEX function would be based on [Dim Program][Program Label]

mattww_0-1636485344043.png

I think I got it set 

It did let me connect the two tables.  Thanks @mattww 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.