Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gmarkc

Display duration as HH:MM:SS on Y-axis

I need to display a certain duration column (brought in to PBI as a duration type and correctly converted to decimal on load) on the y-axis with a format of "HH:MM:SS". The value shown will be the average of the duration over various time intervals (Year, Quarter, etc...) I've tried several suggestions found on this forum and elsewhere to no avail.  Here's a screenshot of what I have:

TAT.png

Thanks. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Power BI does not have a true duration type. However, I would think that you could create a measure that did your calculation and then convert that to your desired format using the technique here:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Aggregating-Duration-Time/ba-p/22486

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Hi @gmarkc,

As smoupre said, currently power bi desktop not support display duration at Y-axis. smoupre's solution seems well, you can try it on your side. For your requirement, you can also vote this idea below:

field of "duration" type

In addition, you can take a look at below method(convert the time format to Numeric):

Table:

Capture.PNG

Measures:

Time(WholeNumber) = HOUR(MAX([Date]))*10000+MINUTE(MAX([Date]))*100+SECOND(MAX([Date])) 

Time(Decimal) = HOUR(MAX([Date]))+MINUTE(MAX([Date]))/100+SECOND(MAX([Date]))/10000

Notice: When I use calculate column to show the value, I found the values will auto summaried on the visual, so I use measures to instead.

Create visual.

Capture2.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Power BI does not have a true duration type. However, I would think that you could create a measure that did your calculation and then convert that to your desired format using the technique here:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Aggregating-Duration-Time/ba-p/22486

Latest book!:

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

I have gone through your link, it is a great write. I tried it but it does not help in my purpose.

My scenario - I have to not only publish total talk time for the day, I have to aggregate it for the week, month or selected timerange and be able to aggregate for respective teams. 

Calculated column Talk Time = CallTimes[Duration]/86400 to calculate duration equivalent to decimal value of HH:MM:SS and used formatting in PBI desktop.

duration.jpgtalktime.jpg

I then create a measure Call Time = SUM(CallTimes[Talk Time]) to aggregate it. Values appear as follows -

appears as.jpg

PBI does not have functionality to change format of this calculated TIME in visuals. Other than the table I have to utilize this calculated time in graph to show how many calls/call time happened for days of the week to show a trending.

Please let me know what should I be doing.

Try multiplying your Call Time by 1. (decimal point included). You should then have the ability to switch the format in the data model to Whole Number, Decimal Number, etc.

Call Time = SUM(CallTimes[Talk Time]) * 1.

Latest book!:

Hi @Greg_Deckler

I did the following to serve my purpose -

I broke down calculation to Hours, minutes and seconds and then represent in format to be able to serve my purpose.

MEASURES - 

CALLTIMES = SUM(DURATIONINSECONDS)

HRS = TRUNC([CALLTIMES]/3600)

MINS = TRUNC((([CALLTIMES]/3600)-[HRS])*60,0)

SECS = TRUNC((((([CALLTIMES]/3600)-TRUNC([CALLTIMES]/3600))*60)-[MINS])*60)

TIMING = IF(LEN([HRS])=1,"0"&[HRS],[HRS])&":"&IF(LEN([MINS])=1,"0"&[MINS],[MINS])&":"&IF(LEN([SECS])=1,"0"&[SECS],[SECS])

This works perfectly for me for any selected time range, whether it is a day/month or months/week or weeks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you able to display the HH : MM : SS format on the Y-axis?

If so, would you please show an example screen shot of the visualization, and explain how you accomplished displaying this format on the Y-axis?

Thanks for any help!

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

I tried but it does not give me adequate options.

options.png

Hi @Greg_Deckler@v-shex-msft

Just writing back to know if you have any something for me?

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, being relatively new to PBI I'm going to need a little more detail to do what you suggested.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "...create a measure that did your calculation... ". I already have a column with the duration decimal value and I drag that into the Value well and choose Average as the function. Also, not sure how to use the Duration formula from the link you provided to help convert to my desired format. Can you provide a little more insight?

Thanks.

Hi @gmarkc,

As smoupre said, currently power bi desktop not support display duration at Y-axis. smoupre's solution seems well, you can try it on your side. For your requirement, you can also vote this idea below:

field of "duration" type

In addition, you can take a look at below method(convert the time format to Numeric):

Table:

Capture.PNG

Measures:

Time(WholeNumber) = HOUR(MAX([Date]))*10000+MINUTE(MAX([Date]))*100+SECOND(MAX([Date])) 

Time(Decimal) = HOUR(MAX([Date]))+MINUTE(MAX([Date]))/100+SECOND(MAX([Date]))/10000

Notice: When I use calculate column to show the value, I found the values will auto summaried on the visual, so I use measures to instead.

Create visual.

Capture2.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.