Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

deevo
Frequent Visitor

Display all Projects that have overlapping start and end dates based on a selected project

Hi All,

I am new to PowerBI and require some assistance after many hours of reading and going round in circles.

What I have:

• Projects table and a date table

deevo_0-1661414042198.png

What I am trying to achieve:

• I would like to be able to select any project name from a dropdown list
  • Then I would like the selected project details to be displayed in the middle visual table
  • Then I would like to display in the bottom table, all other projects that have an overlapping start and/or finish date of the selected project.
  • In the below screenshot, I have selected "TestDish" and I expect to see the 3 highlighted projects because their start "and/or" end dates overlap.

deevo_2-1661414852342.png

Problem i am having:

• Writing my measure to find the overlapping start "and/or" end dates of any other project and to exclude the selected one

What I think I need:

• A measure that I can calculate if the start "and/or" end dates overlap, then return a 1 (true) or a 0 (false) next to each project  in a new column; and
  • then apply this measure in the visual filter of the bottom table to only show the projects that have a value of 1.
  • I have found this dax code and tried to implement this, but I feel abit lost.
    • Range = var StartRange=FIRSTDATE('Date Table'[Date]) var EndRange=LASTDATE('Date Table'[Date]) return if( SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[Start Date])>= StartRange && SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[End Date])<=EndRange && SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[End Date])<>BLANK(), 1,0)

I have shared the pbix file foir your viewing. it is just dummy data.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P40ibQunjiB5oAe-yOeNeobRN7L9I0if/view?usp=sharing 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey Denny! There's probably quite a few ways to do this, some more elegant than others! Using Power Query would be a good option to find overlapping dates but to keep the solution simple (if somewhat inelegant!) I've gone for a duplicate of the projects table (called ProjectsDisconnected) which I hide but use in the "competing projects" visual.  I've then just calculated a DAX measure to work out if the project in this table (SELECTEDVALUE from ProjectsDisconnected) has overlap with the selected project from the main table/slicer (SELECTEDVALUE from Projects):

Has overlap with Existing Project =
VAR SelectedProject = SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[ProjectName])
VAR SelectedProjectStart = SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[ProjectStartDate])
VAR SelectedProjectFInish = SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[ProjectFinishDate])
VAR CurrentProjectStart = SELECTEDVALUE(ProjectsDisconnected[ProjectStartDate])
VAR CurrentProjectFinish = SELECTEDVALUE(ProjectsDisconnected[ProjectFinishDate])
VAR HasOverlap = (CurrentProjectFinish<SelectedProjectFInish && CurrentProjectFinish > SelectedProjectStart) || (CurrentProjectStart > SelectedProjectStart && CurrentProjectStart < SelectedProjectFInish)
RETURN
IF(HASONEVALUE(Projects[ProjectID]) && HasOverlap,"Overlap",BLANK())        

Then it's just a case of applying a filter to the "Competing Projects" table to have this measure not equal to blank. 

PBIX at CompetingProjects_WithOverlap.pbix

Not sure how performant this will be (depends on the number of projects you have!) but let me know if the logic works and if you need a more streamlined solution let me know and we can work out a better way to achieve the same thing!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hey Denny! There's probably quite a few ways to do this, some more elegant than others! Using Power Query would be a good option to find overlapping dates but to keep the solution simple (if somewhat inelegant!) I've gone for a duplicate of the projects table (called ProjectsDisconnected) which I hide but use in the "competing projects" visual.  I've then just calculated a DAX measure to work out if the project in this table (SELECTEDVALUE from ProjectsDisconnected) has overlap with the selected project from the main table/slicer (SELECTEDVALUE from Projects):

Has overlap with Existing Project =
VAR SelectedProject = SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[ProjectName])
VAR SelectedProjectStart = SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[ProjectStartDate])
VAR SelectedProjectFInish = SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[ProjectFinishDate])
VAR CurrentProjectStart = SELECTEDVALUE(ProjectsDisconnected[ProjectStartDate])
VAR CurrentProjectFinish = SELECTEDVALUE(ProjectsDisconnected[ProjectFinishDate])
VAR HasOverlap = (CurrentProjectFinish<SelectedProjectFInish && CurrentProjectFinish > SelectedProjectStart) || (CurrentProjectStart > SelectedProjectStart && CurrentProjectStart < SelectedProjectFInish)
RETURN
IF(HASONEVALUE(Projects[ProjectID]) && HasOverlap,"Overlap",BLANK())        

Then it's just a case of applying a filter to the "Competing Projects" table to have this measure not equal to blank. 

PBIX at CompetingProjects_WithOverlap.pbix

Not sure how performant this will be (depends on the number of projects you have!) but let me know if the logic works and if you need a more streamlined solution let me know and we can work out a better way to achieve the same thing!

Hi rsaprano,

Thanks so much for helping with this one. You have put me on the right path. I have updated your logic slightly as there were some missing results that I needed to include. I had to include the "=" operator in your query.

VAR HasOverlap = (CurrentProjectFinish<=SelectedProjectFInish && CurrentProjectFinish >= SelectedProjectStart) || (CurrentProjectStart >= SelectedProjectStart && CurrentProjectStart <= SelectedProjectFInish)

Hi rsaprano, I have been going through and checking the logic on this alongside your photo from the 2018 post that shows the 4 scenarios where the ranges overlap. Please correct me if I am wrong, but are we missing the scenario below where: (CurrentProjectStart<SelectedProjectStart && CurrentProjectFinish > SelectedProjectFinish)

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.