Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

addlahta
Frequent Visitor

Display active Event and Sum totals for Event during that period

Hello All,

I have two tables, one has Event with start and End Date. The other is my fact table with dates and weekending. 
They have a relationship is the Stock code that is shared between both. 
addlahta_0-1662090025320.png
I want to be able to display the sum of Sales Inc, based on a week ending slicer. and the values change based on the Event that was running. Let me know if you need more information to be able to help me solve this
addlahta_1-1662090236370.png
I have tried the below to get the active event and use that in the table:

addlahta_2-1662090318555.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If thats the case you can connect the "End Date" column from the Promotions Table to the newly created Calendar Table "Date" Column and it should work. 

Then the issue is its not linked to the Sales Data - only the date. The Relationship is inactive when i try and link both. The reason i need it linked is becase of the product data in the sales table i need to see for each promo. If its not possible i understand
Relationships are as below (i already had the calendar table). Could you us

addlahta_2-1662329666975.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

@addlahta , Yes this is possible. To activate inactive relationship we can use the USERELATIONSHIP function.  In your case, if you want to get the total sales for active promo:

New Sales Measure = 

CALCULATE(
     SUM([SalesInc]), 
       USERELATIONSHIP(Calendar[Date], 
                       PromotionsTable[EndDate])
)

Hope that helps.

This still isnt working.

Im not sure Ive im conveying the information i want to properly

I only what to show promos that appeared in the week ending selected. e.g. Weekending 28/08/2022 would be the 22/08 to 22/08

End point is to have a table like this in PowerBI :

addlahta_3-1662349881394.png

Department Product Group and Brand are all contained in a Product Table that links to the sales table by SKU.

Sales Table Links to Calendar table by Date

Promo Table links to Sales Table Via SKU - I think one of the issues here is that one SKU good be in multiple promotions with a different start date

Calendar is generated by PowerBi as a DateTable

This is my data model:

addlahta_1-1662349514534.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @addlahta ,

Are you able to remove any sensitive data in your pbi file and attach it here. Would help if we could have a look at the file. 

BR

Dax_noob

Hi,

Ive created another Pbix file with the same idea in it with all the sensitive data removed.
I think ive recreated it enough:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j-i1AmqfCRZcu5NkZZFUGgSOqD2WKOMy/view?usp=sharing

Anonymous
Not applicable

It ended up being the most stupid of things... i just need to use the week ending date in the Promotion Table to get what I wanted.... Tweaked some of my measures and its all working now.

Thanks for being the sounding board and offering your suggestions!

Unfortunately not - its all linked via database.

I can possibly create a dummy one, just takes a lot of time i dont have at the moment...if i do it ill post it here

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

@addlahta , sorry could you provide more details?

From the screenshot, do you want to create a dynamic slicer which shows the data for that whole week ending?

BR

Dax_Noob

Yes - so if the week ending is 28/08 - then it will be all dates from the 22/08 to 28/08

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @addlahta 

I would suggest you to have a calendar table.

Step 1: Click Home > New Table > Create a Calendar Table

Calendar  = CALENDAR(MIN('Sales Data'[Date]),MAX('Sales Data'[Date]))

Step 2: Create a new calculated column in the new table

Week Num = WEEKNUM('Calendar'[Date],2)

Step 3: Create another calculated column in the same table

Week Ending = 'Calendar'[Date] - WEEKDAY('Calendar'[Date],2)+7

Step 4 : Now connect in the data model the 'Calendar'[Date] column with the 'Sales'[Date] column. 

Step 5: Move the newly created "Week ending" column from the calendar table to a filter and try it now.

BR

Dax_Noob

the problem with that is that it will bring in events that have expired already - and attach sales data to it bases on what stock codes are in the event that had sales in that period.

E.g. if one event finished on the 09/07/2022 but had stock codes in their that we on sales on the weekend ending i selected (e.g. 28/06/2022) then it will have sales against that event.

addlahta_0-1662098397871.png

Alternative I was looking at a measure for Active Promo - so will only show event that were had a start date during the week that i have selected week ending for e.g. if i selected 28/08/2022 it would only just events that started in the week 22/08 to 28/08

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.