Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ldittmann970
Advocate III
Advocate III

Display Unit Formatting

Hello all,

I am wondering if it is possible to correct the current formatting of display units in Power BI.  Currently, I have a report which displays values both in the millions and in the billions, and the Display Units are set to auto on both cards and a bar chart.  However, the unit abbreviations displayed are :
bn = billions

M = millions

The client would prefer to see a 'B' used to represent billions

Is there any way to update these display units?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have voted for an existing idea and updated with the specifics of this thread.  Please vote for it here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=ebe46bf1-b559-477d-9651-ecad6a614371

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ldittmann970 did you ever figure out to edit this? The standard finance formatting is $M for thousands, $MM for millions, and $B for billions. I cannot figure out how to change the display units for visualizations. 

I have voted for an existing idea and updated with the specifics of this thread.  Please vote for it here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=ebe46bf1-b559-477d-9651-ecad6a614371

jburklund
Helper III
Helper III

Chiming in from December 2019, this is a necessary fix. 

@v-shex-msft is there a planned fix for this?

cfrancart
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone seen an enhancement request to fix this? I would certainly vote for it.

Hardik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Screenshot_14.png

Format the data in the formatting tab 

To clarify, what I need to format is the display unit label of 'bn' , not my measure or column.  I would like to indicate billions by using a capital 'B' rather than 'bn'
Capture.PNG

Is there a way in the Modeling toolbar or any other way to edit this? 

Hi @ldittmann970,

Nope, current you can only use format function to change numeric unit.

BTW, even if you change the display format, the result is also transformed to text.

FORMAT Function (DAX)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Good afternoon, 

The display units current set up from None, thousands and up, is there anyway to set up the display in tens, and hundreds? Thanks and please advise!

Hi @v-shex-msft can you please review our questions on this ticket and please advise?

To chime in here, what we're struggling with is why Billions shows up as "bn" and why millions shows up as "M". These are not necessarily standard abbreviations for this sort of data. Is there any insight as to why this particular methodology was chosen @v-shex-msft?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.