Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bvbull200
Helper III
Helper III

Display Time as a Duration Instead of Time of Day - i.e. Make Power BI Quit Changing the Source Data

I am excessively frustrated at Power BI's complete inability to calculate the business hours between two instances.  If I provide July 1, 2019 12:00 p.m. and July 2, 2019 9 a.m.  It should be able to figure out that this is 6 business hours (5 hours from July 1, 2019 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and 1 hour from July 2, 2019 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.).  It can't and I've resigned myself to this fact.

Excel can, however, so I've done the math there.  Enter my next monumental frustration.

I am providing the number of hours between those two instances to Power BI as hh:mm:ss.  Excel does the work, then populates a table with 6:00:00 in the scenario above.  Power BI, however, insists on calculating this as 6:00:00 a.m..  This causes massive issues when the number of hours exceeds 12 or 24.  14:15:20 is displayed as 2:15:20 p.m. instead of 14 hours, 15 minutes, and 20 seconds.

To potentially get around this, I have provided the data in another way.  I have calculated the number of business days that the time between two scenarios takes.  A business day, in this case, is 9 hours, so, if something took 9 hours, the result would be 1 (1 business day = 9 hours).  If it took 4.5 hours, the result would be 0.5.  If it took 18 hours, the result would be 2.  I think you get the idea.

With this, I need to conver the number of business days back in to the hh:mm:ss format.  I would need to be able to provide the number 1.908 and it give me 17:10:19 (17 hours, 10 minutes, and 19 seconds).  This will need to accomodate instances over 24 hours as well.  3.471 should convert to 31:14:13 (31 hours, 14 minutes, and 13 seconds).

I have provided sample source data on One Drive and given the links below so you can see what I am working with.  I have scoured the internet for DAYS and cannot find anything close to what I'm looking for.  I find it staggering that a relatively simple thing to do in Excel completely befuddles a supposed Business Intelligence powerhouse like Power BI.  I also find it exceedingly frustrating that there is NO way to preserve the format of the data that you provide Power BI.  If I put in 31:25:10, it is because I want 31:25:10 and not whatever date/time calculation Power BI assumes is necessary.

Long post, I know, but thank you for anyone that can provide insight to this.  The links are below. 

Power BI Sample:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akyp0hrzA6TBrU7tzFdwP92UzlOE

Excel Sample Data (this is populating the Power BI sample):

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Akyp0hrzA6TBrU0VrP7N9AQkR9Cq?e=zYHpZc

2 REPLIES 2

I have searched exensively.  I have not found a solution that addresses this issue. 

The first link you posted seems close.  I have not come across that thread, yet.  I will try to modify it to my needs. 

The issue with the others is that it is a whole number returned rather than a duration.  I have yet to find a way to reliably convert the whole number in to a duration that can then be summarized in some way (average, for instance).

Crazy how many lines of code are needing to be written to perform what a simple formula in Excel does.

Thanks for the links. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.