Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Display / Import Mixed Character Set

Hi all,

I'm trying to display some Twitter data that I've pulled off a MySQL server. The tweets include not only the 'standard' Western Latin character set, but also Russian cyrillic, Arabic and, just to confound things, emojis too!

When I pull these into PowerBI they coming out looking something this: ðŸ‡¨ðŸ‡·ðŸ†šðŸ‡®ðŸ‡· (I believe this is a flag emoji!)

Having looked at the data in MySQL I can see that the character sets are encoded correctly and the issue only occurs when I pull it into PowerBI.

Can anyone suggest how I might fix this problem?

TIA,

SamB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You'd have to do it in the Advanced Editor and the documentation on those functions is really lacking. Perhaps @ImkeF or @MarcelBeug might have some insight into the proper use of those functions. Here is another article that I found that might help. It doesn't use those functions but changes the encoding type on import:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7b29d033-6230-4fa0-aafc-8313ea771f24/change-encodi...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In short, adding code below in red blod in your advance editor and blame MS for their casual document.

MySQL.Database("10.181.165.202", "pobot", [ReturnSingleDatabase=true, Encoding=TextEncoding.Utf8])

In addition, the available encoding are

TextEncoding.Utf8, TextEncoding.Utf16, TextEncoding.Ascii, TextEncoding.Unicode, TextEncoding.BigEndianUnicode, TextEncoding.Windows

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Check out the Text.Encoding functions in Power Query:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt826838.aspx

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi smoupre,

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty new to PowerBI - how would I apply these functions to a column, and which one would I use - the help pages don't have a lot of info!

Thanks,

Sam

You'd have to do it in the Advanced Editor and the documentation on those functions is really lacking. Perhaps @ImkeF or @MarcelBeug might have some insight into the proper use of those functions. Here is another article that I found that might help. It doesn't use those functions but changes the encoding type on import:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7b29d033-6230-4fa0-aafc-8313ea771f24/change-encodi...

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, OK - thanks for links and assists @Greg_Deckler - much appreciated!

Hello @Greg_Deckler, @Anonymous

I am also facing the similar problem.

The imported data from database is showing me some special characters as explained in the first post.

I am not able to understand how I can set character set to utf8 for this column of table in Advance query option.

Kindly help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors