Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ScottFerguson
Helper II
Helper II

Display Images from URL Link - Not Working

I have seen a number of threads on similar subjects, and applied all recommendations:

• website url for image (not local file path)
  • format column with url to "Image URL"
  • turn on "icon" option for value
  • install image viewer custom visual

I have attempted using links from Dropbox, OneDrive and Google.

Bottom line - nothing works. Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jsheriff

Scott,

In regards to using DropBox try this:

1: Go to the file to share, and click "Share".

2: Click "Create a Link"

3: Click "Copy Link"

- The url output should look like "https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lhbtky7gq973db/CARN%20122%282%29.JPG?dl=0"

4: Replace "?dl=0" with "?raw=1"

- The result will be that instead of the image being shown as part of the dropbox experience the image will be in a raw layer and shows inside PBI.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
jsheriff

Scott,

- The url output should look like "https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lhbtky7gq973db/CARN%20122%282%29.JPG?dl=0"

- The result will be that instead of the image being shown as part of the dropbox experience the image will be in a raw layer and shows inside PBI.

Can you help me with data from onedrive, sharepoint. Thanks!

Hi,

I have image urls in an excel that I want to show on powerbi dash.

Tried to work the url images using sharepoint link (open to all)  as well as hard-disk based links but neither of them is working. Would really appreciate help in this.

@jsheriff wrote:

Scott,

Success! Thanks for your help. I am not sure how I would have found that solution.

Cheers!

Guinness - PBI with Image.JPG

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ScottFerguson,

Usually, we set the data category to Image URL for the column which contains URL text so that we transform a url on image. If we need to show a big image, we can choose to use Image viewer custom visual.

In your scenario, you said all above recommendations don't work, what did you see in your report rather than an image? The damaged image or nothing or still the URL text? Please make sure you inserted the real image URL instead of the Web page URL.

In my test, I could display an image in report from below image URL, please test whether this URL works for you.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/6047i8C8157EC4645A11A/image-size/large?v=...

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yuliana,

Your test image did work in my model.

I saved an image from a webiste as a jgp file in Dropbox, copied the Dropbox link to my table and identifed it as an URL image data category.

The snapshot below shows the image you provided, followed by the image icon (not the actual image) from my Dropbox link.

Power BI - Desktop Image.JPG

Are you able to load images to Dropbox, or OneDrive and get the same result?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott

I was having the same trouble and then I took a look at the PBI image in the thread above. That one was working for me too, but I wasn't getting mine to work. I noticed the PBI image was an embed link. An easy way to see the difference is the end of the URL as .jpg or .png. I sourced my images from a online image store SmugMug, which gave me the embed URL. Hope this helps!

Anthony

Anthony,

I opened a smugmug account, and copied the URL to my table, then catagorized it as an image URL.

The image still will not appear in the PBI report.Guinness Report - Image not displaying.pngGuinness Report - Table with SmugMug Image URL.png - Scott

Scott; 

I have a similar problem with Image URL links to Sharepoint online.  If I display the field as a Web URL I can click on it and takes me to the right image and works fine.  But if I convert the field to Image URL it displays the broken image icon and not my image.  Any recomendation?

I have seen images appear successfully, but it is hit or miss. Did you categorize the column containing the link as Image URL?Dynamic Image Display.png

from where do we change that? 

2018-04-19 07_41_13-.png

Scott; 

I have a similar problem with Image URL links to Sharepoint online.  If I display the field as a Web URL I can click on it and takes me to the right image and works fine.  But if I convert the field to Image URL it displays the broken image icon and not my image.  Any recomendation?

Hi,

I'm also facing the similar problem.

URL is not of website, instead of the image in the website.

My data is is excel which stores the links of URL.

This excel file is stored in share point.

And it has also been converted as Image URL.

Attaching screen shots.

PBI 1.JPG

PBI 2.JPG

Did anyone provide an answer to this.

thx.

Same problem occurs here. My attempt to integrate the link of an image from sharepoint into a seperate excel failed even though I am connected to sharepoint via powerbi. Appreciate any suggestions.

The issue appears to entirely an authnetication issue from PowerBI to rest of O365.  When I use Delve images the images don't work unless I manually connect to Delve once.  The token is then on my machine and if I refresh the report the images work.  This is an issue that Microsoft should really correct.   I will create a new thread/suggestion to see if they can get this fixed.

Hello, I'm facing the same issue ... What did you mean by connect to Delve once ? I'm already connect to delve on my explorer but I'm still blocked in Power BI. (For more information I'm trying to get the profile picture using this kind of url : https://eur.delve.office.com/mt/v3/people/profileimage?userId=prenom.nom@organisation.com) Best regards, Reynholds.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Reynholds.

have you solved the problem regarding getting pictures from delve into power bi? 

Br. Tore

Hello,

Hi facing the same issue ...

What did you mean by connect to Delve once ? I'm already connect to delve on my explorer but I'm still blocked in Power BI.

(For more information I'm trying to get the profile picture using this kind of url : https://eur.delve.office.com/mt/v3/people/profileimage?userId=prenom.nom@organisation.com)

Best regards,

Reynholds.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.