Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Display Exposure Using Project Number, Start/End Date, and Amount

I have the following data for multiple companies:

CompanyProjectAmountStartEnd
XA2,000,00010/1/20159/30/2016
XB5,000,0005/15/20165/15/2017
XC20,000,00010/1/2015

10/1/2017

I would then use that data to find the total number of months (decimal) and devide the [Amount] across that time. Then, using a bar chart (or something similar) I would like to show the total cost per month.

I've tried playing around by linking to a calendar table which allows me to show [Amount] by associated [Start] and [End] date, but not get the flow of money from month to month.

Thanks for any help!

4 REPLIES 4
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

You can turn start and end date into one column by adding a custom column to store the date range, then expand the date list. 

Please select add custom, type the formula below.

1.PNG

Here is my statement.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WilDSUXIEYiMdAwMDEAayDQ30DfWNDAxNgWxLfWMDENtMKVYHotoJiE2RVJvqG5pCVCDY5nDVziCzDXAYDmMDlccCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Company = _t, Project = _t, Amount = _t, Start = _t, End = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Company", type text}, {"Project", type text}, {"Amount", type number}, {"Start", type date}, {"End", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Dates([Start],Duration.TotalDays([End]-[Start]),#duration(1,0,0,0))),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom")
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

You will get the following table, and create a relationship with calendar using custom column.

2.PNG

Then you can get flow of money from month to month.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried your solution, however it looks like my Oracle data source doesn't like the List type in the column. When I try to apply the query I get the below message.

2017-09-20_11-59-25.png

Hi @Anonymous,

Please add custom column date type is equal to the date type in your oracle database.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-huizhn-msft

I'm now getting an error saying "[Expression.Error] We cannot convert null to type Number". I'm using the following process:

When I create the custom column, I'm currently using the below formula becuase some rows have empty dates resulting in errors.

2017-09-26_11-44-51.png

Once I apply the custom column, I'm left with the below column that I expand:

2017-09-26_11-48-18.png

Finally, I replace all "null" with "01/01/0001". However, I'm still receiving the message.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.