Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pmay
Resolver I
Resolver I

Disconnected Slicer to slice a table

So I have a table that contains some information about services, like this:

ServiceValue ChainService Level
ABCOps, HRBronze
DEFIT, OpsGold
GHIIT, HRSilver
JKLHR, OpsBronze
MNOOps, HR, ITGold

I need to be able to filter it, for example, to show only Service that contains "HR" in Value Chain.

Now, I know your first instinct would be to split the columns, do some pivoting, creating multiple rows for each Service, with a single value chain per service, but elsewhere this changes my relationships into Many to Many, screws my averages and other measures, etc.
So, I decided I'd probably need to resort to a disconnected slicer, which has all the distinct, comma separated values in Value Chain (IT, Ops, HR).  However, how do I make that slicer impact a Table to show only Services which, for instance, contain IT in the value chain?

This question was asked before, but not answered: Link

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rohit_singh
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @pmay ,

Please try this, provided your disconnected slicer looks like 

rohit_singh_2-1652959904664.png

1) Create a measure that captures the selected value from your disconnected slicer

SelectedChain = SELECTEDVALUE(dim_slicer[Value])

2) On your main table, create a measure that acts as a flag to display 1 when the selected value is found within the column

SelectFlag =

var _sel = dim_slicer[SelectedChain]

var _chain = MAX(DisconnectedSlicer[Value Chain])

RETURN
IF(CONTAINSSTRING(_chain, _sel), 1 , 0)

This will give you the following result. When you've selected "IT", all rows within column "Value Chain" that have value "IT" will be assigned a value of 1.
rohit_singh_0-1652959619568.png

In the final step, add measure "SelectFlag" as a visual level filter to the table and set value to 1. This will show you only those rows that have values "IT"

rohit_singh_3-1652960045116.png

Kind regards,

Rohit

Please mark this answer as the solution if it resolves your issue.
Appreciate your kudos! 😊

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
rohit_singh
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @pmay ,

Please try this, provided your disconnected slicer looks like 

rohit_singh_2-1652959904664.png

1) Create a measure that captures the selected value from your disconnected slicer

SelectedChain = SELECTEDVALUE(dim_slicer[Value])

2) On your main table, create a measure that acts as a flag to display 1 when the selected value is found within the column

SelectFlag =

var _sel = dim_slicer[SelectedChain]

var _chain = MAX(DisconnectedSlicer[Value Chain])

RETURN
IF(CONTAINSSTRING(_chain, _sel), 1 , 0)

This will give you the following result. When you've selected "IT", all rows within column "Value Chain" that have value "IT" will be assigned a value of 1.
rohit_singh_0-1652959619568.png

In the final step, add measure "SelectFlag" as a visual level filter to the table and set value to 1. This will show you only those rows that have values "IT"

rohit_singh_3-1652960045116.png

Kind regards,

Rohit

Please mark this answer as the solution if it resolves your issue.
Appreciate your kudos! 😊

Good afternoon,

I have a followup question to the above, if I may. I have gotten the original solution working as intended, many thanks for that. I am trying to modify the query a bit and have gotten stuck for quite a while now.

I have a main table containing the columns (amongst others):

• [DATE]
  • [CLIENT]
  • [REP]
  • [TICKET ID]

1.jpg

I have a disconnected slicer which allows for the selection of the [TICKET ID], which is unique. The goal is to filter the main table by only showing those entries that share the same [DATE], [CLIENT] and [REP] as the row with the selected [TICKET ID] -> so show ALL [TICKET ID]s of the given [DATE], [CLIENT] and [REP].

I have tried using LOOKUPVALUE to retrieve the corresponding values from the other columns and then setting flags for them as well like in the given solution, but I seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding things about the interaction of filters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andreas 

AFL
Frequent Visitor

Never mind, I have finally got it. I guess at some point I had accidentally reconnected the disconnected slicer to the main table, which caused all sorts of headaches.

Thanks - I really thought this would work, but sadly not.

The column I added seems to never see the content of the slicer, it returns 1 on every single row, regardless of what I pick in the disconnected slicer

Hi @pmay ,

Apologies. selectflag must be a measure and not a calculated column. 
Also, could you please verify if you're capturing the slicer value correctly?

Yup this works.

So my error was misunderstanding this part:

SelectedChain = SELECTEDVALUE(dim_slicer[Value])

I was putting the same disconnected slicer in there, rather than the field to search through.  Thank you very much!

In my initial post, I linked to another user who had asked the same question, you can probably just give them the same answer.

Hppy to hear that it's working for you @pmay . I will put a link to this solution in the other post as well.

I've no idea why I misread that last time.  I even wondered why it would be a calculated column.
I've added the SelectFlag to my table visual, but every row still returns a 1.
My SelectedChain measure:

SelectedChain = SELECTEDVALUE('DIM Value Chains'[Value Chain])
Which is what's in the slicer, and the content of the slicer does look like you specified - just a single value for each value chain in my dataset.

Finally, my SelectFlag measure:
SelectFlag =
VAR _sel = [SelectedChain]
VAR _chain = MAX('DIM Value Chains'[Value Chain])
RETURN
IF(CONTAINSSTRING(_chain, _sel), 1,0)

When putting SelectedChain on a card, it returns the value selected in the Slicer.

Think I've just spotted my error this time - give me a moment 

NickolajJessen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You might be able to use the Custom Text filter from the marketplace

NickolajJessen_0-1652959047439.png

This works, but relies on my users knwoing the correct value chain acronym.  I'll have a think for a few hours to see if I can put that responsibility on them, to spell a few letters correctly.
Regardless, this is a great add-in to know about!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@pmay , You can use containsstring or search, but when you select more than one value that will be a big challenge

example

countrows(filter(Table, search(selectedvalue(Value[Value]) , Table[Value],,0)>0)) 

Thank you for taking the time to try to help.

I'm OK with limiting to Single Select (or All).  

Your measure would return me a count of the rows, but I don't need a count, I want all the values in all the columns.  There are actually a bunch more columns, but I guess the logic will be the same regardless (if it's possible at all).
I can make it work for a single value, easily enough:

SLA 1 Month Span (SelectedValueOnly) = CALCULATE([SLA 1 Month Span], FILTER('Service Portfolio', CONTAINSSTRING('Service Portfolio'[Value Chain], SELECTEDVALUE('DIM Value Chains'[Value Chain]))))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.