Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sulley
Regular Visitor

Disconnect Desktop Report from Power BI Service Dataset - connect to a completely different dataset

Hi All .... 

I'm running a simple B2B business ...

Customer 1  - For my first customer I have

• Sharepoint Online Site
  • Power BI Dataset connected to the Sharepoint site
  • Power BI Reports in Power BI Service

I have created Customer 2 ... on a completely different Sharepoint online service ... i.e. different domain

Customer 2  - 

• Sharepoint Online 2 - TICK
  • Power BI Dataset 2 ... connected to Sharepoint Online 2 ... but on local hard drive (not published)
  • Power BI Reports 2 ... I want to connect to Power BI Dataset 2 (locally?)

How do I disconnect Power BI Report 2 from Power BI Service Dataset 1 and reconnect to Power BI Dataset 2 ... please remember that they are not on the same domain or connected in any way.

Options as I see it ... 

Option1 ... you can't connect Power BI Report pbix file to local dataset file ... so Publish Dataset 2 into Power BI Service 2

... then connect Power BI Report 2 to Power BI Service 2 ... is this possible to switch domains?  I'd rather find out before buying the service for my development.

Option 2 ... start from scratch and build new Power BI Report every time for every new Customer ... surely this is CRAP and not intended?

Its driving me nuts!!  Please help ... Power BI can't be this amazing and this crap at the same time, can it?

2 REPLIES 2
Aedmunds
Frequent Visitor

Not a single reply?  Surely I'm not the only one who has come across this problem and wants to use Power BI for a B2B service?

All you need to do is change the data source in the Desktop file and point it to the dataset2 on the local drive (bear in mind you will need to set up a Gateway to update the data when changes to the dataset occur). 
You can change the source dataset  easily by going into Power Query and select the query, click on settings icon in the first step in the query (Source) and redirect to the local file.

Dataset1.gif

Obvisouly save the new file with a different name. You might also consider using different workspaces in the service for different clients.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.