cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vdaga New Member

Disble triggering multiple queries when selecting dimensions/measure in direct query mode

Hi,

I have been using the direct query mode in Power BI with snowflake as the database. I am facing the problem where, as I select different measures and dimensions from a table, it sends a new query to the database re-selecting the the measures/dimensions already in the report. For example - I select a client_id from the table - the query that goes to the backend is - Select client_id from table. Now if I select a different measure like order amount, it sends - select client_id, sum(order_amount). If I have 20 columns in there, this process is highly inefficient. Is this the way it has been designed or is it possible for me to disable it or only run queries on demand, like me selecting everything and then applying or something like that?

Thanks,

Varun 

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Disble triggering multiple queries when selecting dimensions/measure in direct query mode

Hi @vdaga,

This is by design, as you create or interact with a visualization, Power BI Desktop queries the underlying data source, which means you’re always viewing current data.

Many data modeling and data transformations are available when using DirectQuery, though with some limitations. When creating or interacting with a visualization, the underlying source must be queried and the time necessary to refresh the visualization is dependent on the performance of the underlying data source. 

For more details, please check the online document.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Disble triggering multiple queries when selecting dimensions/measure in direct query mode

Hi @vdaga,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 309 members 3,006 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: