Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

microsoftrookie
Helper II
Helper II

Disabling the Cntrl+ select option to only allow single selection

Hello, the issue that I am asking for help on is that on my Dashboard that I intend on eventually publishing does not prevent people from using the keyboard control of selecting multiple options on said dashboards, despite having single selection only active in the dashboard creation. When the end user (general public) selects an item from a slicer/ map I was informed to try and limit their ability to select so that they may only choose one option for each slicer. For Example, snip for single selection question Showing what i want.PNGis the most i want I want to allow them to do in a slicer. One selection for One slicer while the single selection only tool is on. However, with they cntrl key the end user can select multiple options, despite single selection being active, like in this picture.What single selection filter is allowing.PNG  I have tried seeing if the it prevents this on live pages(did a sample publish) it did not, and I do not know of what I can do to try and prevent an end user from using a keyboard command.

Thank you for your time,

Regards Microsoft Rookie

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @microsoftrookie,

Current power bi cannot disable multiple select through press the ctrl key + click. For this scenario, I'd like to suggest you submit an idea about this requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Crazy idea... what if you don't return a result if they select more than one value?  VERY 'un-user friendly', but might work...??

OneValue = IF( DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Region]) = 1 ,SUM(Table1[Value]),"One Value Only")

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Skotko
Advocate I
Advocate I

Actually try using the Hierarchy slicer in the marketplace.  Do the same "single selection" option but for this one it actually accomplishes what you want...to not allow someone to select more than one thing even if they hold the CTRL key.

You don't have to use it in a hierarchy, but you can do that as well.

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Crazy idea... what if you don't return a result if they select more than one value?  VERY 'un-user friendly', but might work...??

OneValue = IF( DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Region]) = 1 ,SUM(Table1[Value]),"One Value Only")

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Tried to follow the measure provided to achevie my requirement.

Question:

to which table Visual filters should  the OneValue  measure be used please?

Dear Fhill, Thank you for your timely response and the code that you had provided. The code was very helpful in terms of which nothing had been selected as well as someone selecting multiple options. To expand upon your code that you gave me i have used the following in order to use this crosstables.

IF(AND(DISTINCTCOUNT(table1[Region])= 1, DISTINCTCOUNT(table2[Geography])= 1), SUM(Values[#Values]),"ONE selection please")

Thank you again for helping me out,

Regards, 

Microsoft Rookie.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @microsoftrookie .

So, how do you use the OneValue to restrict selection to one value only?

I am using a chiclet and Multiple Selection is off.

Please explain how to use this OneValue in a chiclet. Thanks!

Hi,

Where did you write query for that control???

I wrote it as a measure

Regards,

Microsoft Rookie

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @microsoftrookie,

Current power bi cannot disable multiple select through press the ctrl key + click. For this scenario, I'd like to suggest you submit an idea about this requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for timely response Mr. Sheng. As a Data dissemination unit we value having the ability to limit this function and having this function will greatly affect databases having weighted information. I will do as you reccomended and put in an idea about this requirement. Thank you again for your time. 

Regards,

Microsoft Rookie.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors