Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

achinayoung
Regular Visitor

Disable sending user data

Hi. I am running Power BI Desktop 2.84.661.0. Is there a registry key or setting in a file to disable sending usage data? I am trying to package Power BI into an app-V-style package with Software2's AppsAnywhere.

I can successfully disable software updates by passing DISABLE_UPDATE_NOTIFICATION=1 on the command-line to the installer and that settings sticks for all users. However, for the usage data, passing ENABLECXP=0 on the command-line to the installer disables the setting only for the user performing the install. Any other user has the setting enabled.

power-bi-usage-data.png

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @achinayoung ,

What do you mean by this sentence?

However, for the usage data, passing ENABLECXP=0 on the command-line to the installer disables the setting only for the user performing the install. Any other user has the setting enabled.

To my knowledge, if the users won't use the package you provided for installing, the setting should be enabled by default.

Maybe I understand something wrong?

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think my original description was indeed hard to understand so let me ask the question in a different way. When installing Power BI, is there a registry key or other setting in a file that would disable sending telemetry data without requiring the users to disable this option manually?

My guess would be somewhere in

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop_2.84.703.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\bin

(replace with your installed desktop version)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.