Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Disable Refresh

Hi, 
I am new to Power Bi so I hope I will be explicit enough with my doubts..

I am working with SQL Server database however I find real annoying that every step I make Power Bi desktop has to refresh the data and update the visuals. I prefer that it just stops doing that after the first load of data and after that only work with that "sample" and if I need I just turn on the refresh. Also this affets me when working offline that I can't do anything because is always trying to connect to the database.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @FilipeSantos_pt ,

One approach is to create measures in the Data view; this way reports/visuals will not refresh everytime you create a new or exit from an existing measure as seen in below screen grab

DB Connection 2.jpg

Another approach you can try is to create/edit measures with a focus on an empty report sheet.

This way visuals will not attempt to refresh everytime you create a new or exit from an existing measures

DB Connection 3.jpg

I have tried this approach with a report file with imported data and a report connected to a live dataset but out of network - and I am able to create measures without any errors. 

Let me know if I am missing any steps you are performing. Thanks! 

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
londonmap
Regular Visitor

the second method works perfectly with direct entry models.  You have saved me a huge amount of time.

Thanks....

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@FilipeSantos_pt Are you referring to when you are in Power Query? Are you in import or Direct Query mode?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler I am on import mode. 

I am trying to do an Income Statment Report and, on this phase, I am not working with real time updates of the report.

For example, every time I create a new measure or just hit ESC on an empty measure that I accidently created the report tries to refresh and, since I am offline, it starts to generates errors:

"Something went wrong"

because it wasn't able to connect to the SQL Server and even though I hit cancel it generates this error message 5 more times. And until it really stops it takes a lot of time before it allows me continue with my work. The changes are in a pending state that I will apply when I get online.

I don't know if this helps but from the previous answers to this post I am getting the idea that I can't avoid this.

@FilipeSantos_pt What does not make sense is that you keep referring to measures and this while in import mode. Are you in the Power Query Editor when this is happening or are you in the Desktop? Power Query Editor:

Greg_Deckler_0-1600075701719.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

hi @FilipeSantos_pt ,

One approach is to create measures in the Data view; this way reports/visuals will not refresh everytime you create a new or exit from an existing measure as seen in below screen grab

DB Connection 2.jpg

Another approach you can try is to create/edit measures with a focus on an empty report sheet.

This way visuals will not attempt to refresh everytime you create a new or exit from an existing measures

DB Connection 3.jpg

I have tried this approach with a report file with imported data and a report connected to a live dataset but out of network - and I am able to create measures without any errors. 

Let me know if I am missing any steps you are performing. Thanks! 

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @FilipeSantos_pt  - If you connect to the datasource with "import" mode, then Power BI would import a copy of the data into the report file and you can work on the report.

This would also allow for working offline when you are not connected to the database - as seen in the below screen grab 

DB Connection.jpg 

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @FilipeSantos_pt 

Datase is the source of truth for all the reports that you do, same case as it is in excel.

Unless the repot doesn't know the current datatype and various other things you can do on power query, how will it be able to determine the measures and columns you create.

It is not possible to bypass this process when it does.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.