Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Tormod_GK
Frequent Visitor

Disable RLS in reports using dataset with RLS

Hi!

Instead of having to maintain multiple datasets to different reports I am making one big dataset which I connect my reports to. In this dataset I have RLS which is needed for most reports, but I would like to have some reports without RLS but still use the same dataset.

Is there a possibility where I can use the same dataset or do I have to make a copy and then remove RLS in the copy? I hope to avoid the latter since I then have to either do things twice (when I alter the dataset) or having to make a copy each time.

Best regards,

Tormod

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI Tormod_GK,

Do you mean you want different pages have different role? The different pages belong to one report(dataset) and you can only assign one role to one dataset. To achieve your requirement, I'm afraid you should rename your pbix file and publish again so that you have two datasets which can be assigned with two different roles at the same time.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gavin007
Helper V
Helper V

I have encounted the same thing and it is not a uncommon practice to have the same dataset for diferernt reporting purpose, hence one require RLS and the other doesnt.

Typical use case is one report for individual sales rep where they can only see their own sales detail, where the same dataset will build a report to show high level sales data for the same user. 

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

by "without RLS" you basically mean access to all of the data? why not create a role that has access tor everything?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Hi!

Then the persons in this role would see everything in all other reports as well. I like to use RLS so that they see figures that are important to them, especially in the dashboards. But in some reports (benchmark/comparison) I would like the same persons to see everyting. So I was hoping that I could skip using RLS in some specific reports.

HI Tormod_GK,

Do you mean you want different pages have different role? The different pages belong to one report(dataset) and you can only assign one role to one dataset. To achieve your requirement, I'm afraid you should rename your pbix file and publish again so that you have two datasets which can be assigned with two different roles at the same time.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Do I need to remove RLS in the renamed file?

Hi!

Yes something like that. Having some reports that use the same dataset with RLS, but without using RLS. Like a feature when making the report, like saying "disable RLS in this report" 🙂

But I expected that I must do this the hard way, meaning making a copy, delete RLS and then publish. It will just take a bit more time to maintain and do changes in the dataset (since I want them to be exactly the same).

Best regards,

Tormod

Hi Tormod_GK,

Have you solved your issue? If you have, could you kindly mark my answer?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Yes, but was just hoping for a different solution 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.