Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PieInDaFace
Frequent Visitor

Disable Commenting on PowerBI Report Server

Wondering if there is a way to prevent commenting on a desktop report. Looking at the table dbo.upgradeinfo (within the reportserver - database), there is a item called "enablecomments" with a status of True. Tried to replace with a false, but once I bounce the website, the value is restored. Dont know if this even refers to commenting on a desktop report, but was wondering if anybody has came across this and knows of a solution. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PieInDaFace
Frequent Visitor

Okay... so this is a dirty solution, but ended up putting in a trigger on the comments table of which desktop reports I dont want to allow commenting. Below is the *cough* "solution", which we also capture the comment and user name to have it send via email. If a user does attempt to submit a comment, they will receive the error message "An error has occurred. Something went wrong. Please try again later.". I believe the error is a result to not sending anything back from the post. Out of curiosity I imagine if you didn't want the error message, you could have the stored procedure "GetCommentByCommentID" return false data.

declare @commentid int, @comment varchar(2048), @username varchar(260

if (select count(*) from dbo.[Catalog] a
join inserted b on a.ItemID = b.ItemID
where Name like '%your condition%') > 0

begin

select @commentid = a.commentid,@comment = a.[Text], @username = coalesce(b.UserName,'Unknown') from inserted a
left join dbo.Users b on a.UserID = b.UserID

exec dbo.DeleteComment @commentid

end

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
kiwipeet
Advocate I
Advocate I

Yeah I'd really appreciate the capability of turning this off globally as well. If you want to drive people through the portal, then allowing content editors the ability to edit/delete/suppress comments would be useful.

PieInDaFace
Frequent Visitor

Okay... so this is a dirty solution, but ended up putting in a trigger on the comments table of which desktop reports I dont want to allow commenting. Below is the *cough* "solution", which we also capture the comment and user name to have it send via email. If a user does attempt to submit a comment, they will receive the error message "An error has occurred. Something went wrong. Please try again later.". I believe the error is a result to not sending anything back from the post. Out of curiosity I imagine if you didn't want the error message, you could have the stored procedure "GetCommentByCommentID" return false data.

declare @commentid int, @comment varchar(2048), @username varchar(260

if (select count(*) from dbo.[Catalog] a
join inserted b on a.ItemID = b.ItemID
where Name like '%your condition%') > 0

begin

select @commentid = a.commentid,@comment = a.[Text], @username = coalesce(b.UserName,'Unknown') from inserted a
left join dbo.Users b on a.UserID = b.UserID

exec dbo.DeleteComment @commentid

end

@PieInDaFace,

Thanks for sharing the information.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.