Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bpn1973
Resolver II
Resolver II

Directquery error when adding data source

Hello!

I have a data model uploaded to my PPU capacity.

I create a report and connect to my datamodel with no problems.

When I try to import additional data into model and try to switch into directquery mode I get an error

bpn1973_0-1626757705643.png

Have tried it with the other models in my PPU space - same thing.

I'm the sole owner of the models. All models have no errors and refresh 6 times a day (xlsx and txt sources).

Any ideas?
Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bpn1973 ,

If you want to make a DirectQuery connection to a Power BI dataset, your tenant needs to have "Allow XMLA Endpoints and Analyze in Excel with on-premises datasets" enabled. My test found that if this option is not enabled, you will get such an error. 

For more limitations, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s... 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Preeti_Yadav
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @bpn1973 ,

I would assume that the credentials can access the SQL Server, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the datasource. My thought is that while it can reach the SQL Server, it can't access all the tables/views that it needs to in order to produce the report results... what level of permission does it have on the SQL Server? Is it a different account, or your credentials?

Alternatively, did you use a basic auth connection in the Desktop?

Thank You !!
Preeti 

My dataset uses only xlsx and txt files and is not connected to an SQL server of any kind.

All the files are located on a protected network drive. 

Where can I check the auth connection type in Desktop used?

Hi @bpn1973 ,

If you want to make a DirectQuery connection to a Power BI dataset, your tenant needs to have "Allow XMLA Endpoints and Analyze in Excel with on-premises datasets" enabled. My test found that if this option is not enabled, you will get such an error. 

For more limitations, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s... 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

bpn1973
Resolver II
Resolver II

Data is from dataset.

All the sources credentials are verified with conf level set to Private.

The dataset and all the reports connected to it withour DIrectquery mode work just fine. Dataset refreshes. If I had problems with credentials for the sources the dataset wouldn't refresh. Right?

bpn1973_0-1626759277213.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bpn1973 , the data is from dataset or database. Because the error is with data source credentials. Can you verify the credential

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.