Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SCTDev
Helper I
Helper I

DirectQuery option disabled to SQL Server database

I have Personal Gateway installed and connected to the database I want to use.

How do I activate the DirectQuery option within PBI Desktop when trying to Get Data?  Is there a setting somewhere to allow this choice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. You are right. You can use either of this ( Direct Query or Import) in a single .pbix file.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Each  pbix file can only use one Data Connectivity mode. So if you had previously uploaded data via "Import", you will not be able to use "DirectQuery" within that same report. Solution is to open up a brand new report; as you will see, the DirectQuery option will be selectable. 

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@SCTDev

You just need to select "Direct Query" when "get data" from SQL Server Database as @BhaveshPatel mentioned. Since there're limitation for DAX calculations when using Direct Query, you may "allow unrestricted measure in Direct Query Mode".

6.PNG

For more details, please see: Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You do not need any gateway or anything else to connect with sql server in direct query mode.

When you choose to connect to the SQL Server Instance, It will ask you to choose either Import or Direct Query mode.

See below screenshot.

DirectQuery connectionDirectQuery connection

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

My option is dimmed and therefore unselectable.  Likely because I already used the Import feature for previous data and it won't let me select data using both methods.  Of course, I am not certain of this.

Yes. You are right. You can use either of this ( Direct Query or Import) in a single .pbix file.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.