Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

victor_s
Frequent Visitor

DirectQuery in Composite Model

Hi. I have a composite model with direct queries that looks like this
image.png
When I try to make a table visual with user_action metrics and aggregation by country, I get the following error:

OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] Local evaluation of Table.Join or Table.NestedJoin with key equality comparers is not supported..

I couldn't find any mentions that DirectQuery does not allow "nested" relationships. So, I guess I am missing something here. 

9 REPLIES 9
JNordentoft
Frequent Visitor

I had the same issue. The solution for me was that I accidentally sorted one of my dimension tables in Power Query. I don't think you can do any modifications to dimension tables in the Power Query if they are related to a direct query table. In my case, the dimension table is in Dual mode and connected to a Direct Query Fact Tabel. It worked again after i deleted to step in Power Query. 

wastek
Frequent Visitor

is there any solution for this problem available ? We are facing the same with postgreSQL direct query:
Without it we cannot make any charts using fields from 2 different tables having a correct relationship

Aakash96rah

Any solution for this? I am getting the same error

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

After some investigation I discovered that during my change to the formatting I accidentally changed the data type of some of the fields in one of my tables which was part of the join. Although the modified fields were not keys used in the join it was enough to trigger this particular error. Upon restoring the types to their correct settings my visuals started working again.

Aside: The reason why I accidentally changed the type of some fields was due to an issue where filtering the fields and selecting multiple fields using shift still selected the fields that were not visible. I assume this is a bug.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just hit this issue after adjusting some formatting settings for Date values. After making that change a number of visuals which were loading previously, fail to load and the details show the "Local evaluation of Table.Join or Table.NestedJoin with key equality comparers is not supported".

One of the visuals affected doesn't reference any of the changed columns at all.

The puzzling thing to me is that Power BI appears to have convinced itself it can't do a thing that it was doing previously.

The error message could certainly benefit from detailing what tables it was trying to join and what keys it was referring to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

did you manage to fix the problem?

any news

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Which Databases in there for Direct Query

postgresql

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.