Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rimah
Frequent Visitor

DirectQuery RLS

Could someone please tell me How I can configure RLS on a dataset using DirectQuery and import, in power BI?

I have a table that imported and I added a role on it "UserprincipalName()" but when I tried "View as Role" only the table that I added a role on it is filtred but the others are not. 

I can not see this when I add a relation between the imported table and the DQuery Table

rimah_0-1658359261344.png

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rimah , Usually this is what we do, we take a global dimension and filter that using RLS.

The global dimension is one which joins with all fact example like region, item, customer etc

Sorry, but how can we add Rls on a DirectQuery table in power BI is it even possible.

I am adding Rls on an imported table that is a global dimension but it's only filtering itself.

Hi @rimah ,

You need turn off the apply security filter in both directions when you use RLS.

vchenwuzmsft_2-1658815626435.png

vchenwuzmsft_0-1658815495267.png

Result:

vchenwuzmsft_1-1658815530189.png

If you need more help, please share some example data.

Pbix in the end you can refer.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately, I can not see the data, I don't have access,

rimah_1-1658858475575.png

but my question is about the table "TABEL" is DirectQuery so how can you see it here 

rimah_0-1658858344084.png

in my report when I can not see all the tables that are in DirectQuery mode in the "Role" second when I add a role like you did my data is not filtred I see all data (I am using Dynamic RLS  USERPINCIPALNAME).

Hi @rimah ,

Can you share your pbix file without sensitive data or some screenshot of your filter dax in rls role.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

rimah_0-1658949250982.png

As you can see I only can see the imported tables and the filter that I added does not work on the other table(DirectQuey)

Hey @rimah did you ever find a solution to your issue, I am facing the same.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.