Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DirectQuery : Images management

Hi,

I'm new with PowerBI and getting my first struggle with Image Management.

I work on a reporting project with DirectQuery and R Scripts. I'm on a Microsoft environment with Azure, OneDrive...

Actualy the data come from a Tabular.

My main issue is  when working with DirectQuery : Data manipulation is impossible in PowerBI when used as DirectQuery (am I right?).

The workaround I saw was to use embeded links (from google, OneDrive...) or base64 URI stored in a Table column, then change data type on power BI desktop

As i'm a rookie searching in every direction, I'm wondering how you would solve this requirement 🙂

Thanks for helping the community 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I think the Terminology is too loosely thrown out here. Direct Query and Live Connection to an Analysis Services Instance are two different things.

When you connect using Direct Query, The following are the list of things you can do

• You can Create Measures for the Table
  • You can import Data from other Sources like Excel, Flat Files or Even other Databases.
  • Data Resides in the Database itself which means you would not be able to Create new columns onto existing Tables

When you connect to a Tabular Model (SSAS), there are essentially two types 

• Import
    • The Data (Tables) in the Cube would be imported in to the Power BI Model.  
  • Live Connection
    • The Tables would still reside in the Source Tabular Model, thus if you want to do any changes like Adding a new Measure into a Table, Creating a new Calculated Column/ Table, You are still required to do it at the Tabular Model Level and once done this Model should be deployed and the PBI file should be refreshed for the Latest changes to reflect.

Do Accept as Solution if your Question has been addressed 🙂 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I think the Terminology is too loosely thrown out here. Direct Query and Live Connection to an Analysis Services Instance are two different things.

When you connect using Direct Query, The following are the list of things you can do

• You can Create Measures for the Table
  • You can import Data from other Sources like Excel, Flat Files or Even other Databases.
  • Data Resides in the Database itself which means you would not be able to Create new columns onto existing Tables

When you connect to a Tabular Model (SSAS), there are essentially two types 

• Import
    • The Data (Tables) in the Cube would be imported in to the Power BI Model.  
  • Live Connection
    • The Tables would still reside in the Source Tabular Model, thus if you want to do any changes like Adding a new Measure into a Table, Creating a new Calculated Column/ Table, You are still required to do it at the Tabular Model Level and once done this Model should be deployed and the PBI file should be refreshed for the Latest changes to reflect.

Do Accept as Solution if your Question has been addressed 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.