Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SFLPBI
Frequent Visitor

DirectQuery + COMBINEVALUES() + RELATED()

I am relating some tables together using the COMBINEVALUES() function.  It works great.  As soon as I reference one of the values i.e. x = Table1[val1] * RELATED(Table2.[val2]), the SQL generated starts to inner join Table2 2 times.  One joining on the compound key (correctly) and the other using the concatonated values from both tables.

Any insight or work around will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same problem, but I don't think the measure change will work for me, as I'm trying to get attributes across related tables.

For example, two tables are related via three columns.  Then a third table is related via a combination of other columns from those two tables.  I use RELATED in the many side of the two tables with COMBINEVALUES, but it does the concatenation thing.  

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @SFLPBI 

Please check this blog if it could help you:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-combinevalues-to-optimize-directquery-performance/

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-lili6-msft  for taking the time to reply. 

Unfortunately that article does not help, as it only shows how to create relationships with COMBINEVALUES().  The initial subquery/join is fine.  When I added the RELATED() function, it adds an additional subquery/join based on the concatonated values instead of the individual components of the COMBINEVALUES() function.  So the resulting query ends up with TWO subqueries; the first joining correctly and the second on the concatonated string.

Kind regards,

Kevin

SFLPBI
Frequent Visitor

By the way, the below "DAX pattern" produces the correct SQL joins and runs reasonably fast, but it doesn't return a single result from the SQL server side.  This causes the "1 million row" limit error for my particular application.

scaledSum$ =
    var SCALED = SUMMARIZE(Table2, [Date], [key1], [key2], [Scale], "ret$", SUM('Table1'[value$]))
    return SUMX(SCALED, [Scale] * [ret$])
SFLPBI
Frequent Visitor

Another update.  The below code appears to be doing the trick.  I am going to continue to test this out.

scaledSum$ = SUMX(Table1, RELATED(Table2[Scale]) * Table1[value$]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.