Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wpf_
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Direct query via sql service or dataverse?

I normally do direct query through sql service, but i learned recently that it can be done through dataverse as well.  Which way is the preferred method?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is clear that Dataverse makes integration within the Microsoft product family much easier.

The biggest disadvantage of Dataverse is that it's impossible to build complex views that traverse multiple tables. For example, joining three or four related tables with inner/outer join types is not possible, particularly if we want to group or to aggregate data. This makes it very difficult to retrieve exactly the data that we need.

http://powerappsguide.com/blog/post/excel-vs-sharepoint-vs-dataverse-vs-sql-server 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@wpf_ I see, and great question. Sorry I don't have much chance to work with Dataverse and cannot comment. I hope someone else can answer it. Do share your findings after you learn why to use one over another so that it can help others in the future. Cheers!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@wpf_ it depends if a source support DQ, like Power BI dataflow also supports DQ. What exactly is your question?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k @My data source is Microsoft dynamics.  And it does support DQ.  I can connect via sql server or dataverse.   I want to know which is the preferred way.  

It is clear that Dataverse makes integration within the Microsoft product family much easier.

The biggest disadvantage of Dataverse is that it's impossible to build complex views that traverse multiple tables. For example, joining three or four related tables with inner/outer join types is not possible, particularly if we want to group or to aggregate data. This makes it very difficult to retrieve exactly the data that we need.

http://powerappsguide.com/blog/post/excel-vs-sharepoint-vs-dataverse-vs-sql-server 

@V-lianl-msft thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.