Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct query merge refresh

Hi,

i have 3 groups of tables in direct query mode connected to SQL server. (one machine saves data in tables in group1, second machine in tabels in group2 and third saves in tables in group3)

Group1

Table1Table2Table3
Group2

Table1

Table2Table3
Group3Table1Table2Table3

I used UNION to merge respective tables into 3 tabels (Table1combined, Table 2 Combined and Table 3 combined) to have overall view of all 3 machines.

In format tab under visualizations i use page refresh to refresh data in table. But data in merged tables are not refreshed.

Is it because those tabeles are marged and not really connected directly ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please note that: Automatic page refresh is available only for DirectQuery data sources.

When you create a table which is combined three direct query tables, you will find the storage mode in lower right corner of power bi desktop has been changed from direct query to mixed.

storage mode.png

It means the new combined table uses import mode not direct query so that page refresh doesn't work for it. You should click the Refresh button in the Home ribbon to refresh this combined table manually.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please note that: Automatic page refresh is available only for DirectQuery data sources.

When you create a table which is combined three direct query tables, you will find the storage mode in lower right corner of power bi desktop has been changed from direct query to mixed.

storage mode.png

It means the new combined table uses import mode not direct query so that page refresh doesn't work for it. You should click the Refresh button in the Home ribbon to refresh this combined table manually.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Can i change the storage mode of my merged tables from 'import' to 'direct query'?

or is there a way to automatically refresh this table if it is merged?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , how you calculated the new merged table. Data should refresh in union table if data in base tables are refreshed

Anonymous
Not applicable

i just created table:

Table(comb)= UNION(Table1;Tabel2;Table3)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.