Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct link to page in Report on Report Server

I am needing a way to create a link so that when a row in a matrix is selected it naviagates to the related page.  There are 40+ tables being summarized in a summary matrix, this matrix is where I need to create the link.  Each of the 40+ tables have an individual tab, the name of the tab is a column in the Summary Matrix.  The best solution is if I can catagorize the tab name column as a URL and have it link directly to the correct tab in the Report.  Drillthrough doesn't really work because when you go to drillthrough it gives you the option to select each tab in the list but only 1 tab is valid for a drillthrough for each row.  Bookmarks would work as well but since the matrix is dynamic the bookmarks would not remain aligned with the correct row in the matrix.  Also it would be difficult to go through a list of 40+ drillthroughs to select the one that is associated with the line you are selecting.  Is there a way to modify the url of the report so that the url points directly to a page within a report instead of just the overall report.

This is a sample of the data in the matrix.  Ideally the usre would click on a value in the left hand column and be navigated to the correct page within the report.

QC CheckUser 1User 2User 3User 4User 5
Page 125034
Page 210085
Page 304206
3 REPLIES 3
helassal
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @Anonymous ,

I don't think it is currently possible to handle this scenario dynamically as you want using the same structure, here are some ideas:

1- it is possible to add a measure of type "web url" to a table or matirx (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-hyperlinks-in-tables), and build the measure to dynamically construct the "ReportSection" part of a power bi report url to point to the relevant page (https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/f98bbb1e-a88c-41d9-9e94-4c94d6dcce3e/ReportSection72d5d10bb27e0808b188) but it requires prior mapping of all pages to their "ReportSection" id before runtime which doesn't satisfy the dynamic requirement.

Your best bet IMHO, is that if all the pages share the same structure, you could then change the structure to always have one child page which you can then drill through to from the summary table and it will be automatically filtered by the page name you drilled through from.

If the pages don't share the same structure, then there could be other out of the box ideas you can try but they depend on how desperate you are to achieve this and how much effort you are willing to put into it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the input.  Unfortunately every tab's structure is very different with columns varying from 5 - 30 depending on the tab so the single page will not work (though I wish It would as it would be even easier).  Your comment on item 1 to add a measure of type "web url" is the desired approach.  What I am missing to complete that approach is how to modify the report URL so that it points directly to the relevant page.  I have only been able to generate a URL that points to the report and only opens the report up to the default page.  This is a sample of a URL that points to one of my report but I don't know how to modify it to point to the specific page within a report.

https://<servername>/MSBIReports/powerbi/Transmission%20PMO/User%20Defined%20Reports/Transmission%20Reports/Transmission%20Portfolio%20(V2-3)

No matter which report tab I look at the URL never changes in the web browser.  Note we are using Report Server On Premise (September 2019 Release)

@Anonymous 

Hi, sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was quite busy. I looked at this a bit and here is what I found:

In order to get the "page Id" to "page name" mapping in a power bi report, there are two ways (both are not supported officially):

a- Read the power bi file using power query, extract the "Layout" Json file using this method and then navigate to the "sections" node, there you will find each section has a name and id property, extract them. These are the page name and ids.

b- Read the report definition from the report server using the following query:

select c.Name, ec.ContentType, ec.Content
from [dbo].[CatalogItemExtendedContent] as ec
inner join [dbo].[Catalog] as c on c.ItemID = ec.ItemId

And then perform the above mentioned process, but while decompressing the report definition should be similar to the previously mentioned method, it is not exactly the same and when I tried earlier I wasn't able to crack it, however, with some persistance, it should be doable.

The main problem however is, even when we are able to get a list of report pages and their ids, there isn't currently a way to navigate to a specific page using URL access parameter for power bi on prem. Please vote on this idea.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.