Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct Query with two linked servers?

I know Direct Query does not work when retreiving data from two separate servers, in which case Import must be used, but will it work if the two servers are linked?

6 REPLIES 6
gustavoleo
Helper II
Helper II

Direct quyery have a several limitations 

You should use a Data Virtualization Plataform such as Querona querona.com to connect multiple data sources and also permit to have the data on line

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous

I have made some tests in my Power BI desktop (Feb 2018 update). And I can use Direct Query to load linked server data with SQL statement in Advanced options:

3.PNG

Also, there's other way to load linked server in Power BI. Please refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/specifying-linked-server/td-p/294416 

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the fast reply @v-xjiin-msft!  I see you were able to query the linked server by itself but are you able to query both the linked Server and non-linked Server in the same query using Direct Query mode?

@Anonymous

Nope. It is not possible to query non-linked server.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xjiin-msft

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my question.  Let me ask it a different way: in a scenario where two servers are linked, can both be queried in Direct Query mode at the same time or can just one of them?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Wow, been a little bit since I've worked with linked servers. But, I'm going to go with probably not on this one. Typically linked servers are configured to enable the Database Engine to execute a Transact-SQL statement that includes tables in another instance of SQL Server, or another database product such as Oracle. But, those linked servers are still essentially separate instances or references and you generally have to write some funky SQL to reference them. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.