Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct Query vs Import

Hello,

I have an issue regarding 'direct query' vs 'import'.  I am retrieving data from SQL and creating data tables/visualizations with time parameters, more specifically 'networkdays'.  In order to create 'networkdays' in PowerBi I believe I need to use a calendar table from another data source such as excel.  I would like to make my data/visualizations live so that I do not need to re-create them each time.

1) Is it possible to operate in direct query mode and link another table such as a calendar to create 'networkdays'?

or

2) Is it possible to operate in Import mode and have my data so that I don't need to redownload from SQL and remake measures, columns, charts, graphs etc.  each time I want to run an updated report?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

For the first issue, based on my research, I am afraid you could not link another table from the another data source, all tables you want to link must come from a single database. You can create a calendar table in the same SQL database and get data form this calendar table via DirectQuery.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery#limitations-of-directquery

For the second issue, you could import the data from you SQL Server, but when you need the latest data, you need to update it manually in Power BI Desktop.

3.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mattluk

1.   you can try to create the view the the same DB

eg. DB1 have date table

DB2 have data tave

you can crate the view in DB2

Select * from DB1.dbo.date

2. I also have this problem.

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

For the first issue, based on my research, I am afraid you could not link another table from the another data source, all tables you want to link must come from a single database. You can create a calendar table in the same SQL database and get data form this calendar table via DirectQuery.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery#limitations-of-directquery

For the second issue, you could import the data from you SQL Server, but when you need the latest data, you need to update it manually in Power BI Desktop.

3.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.