Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Direct Query queries

Hello,

I have few queries related to Direct Query, can you please clarify them for me?

1) If I am sharing my only report and not the dataset (mode used direct query) from a workspace backed by Premium Capacity, then will a person having access to the same workspace able to see the dataset?

2) If I share the same report and again not the dataset from my worspace, will the dataset be visible?

3) if I share the report outside the organisation, will I need to give that person the access to the source of Direct query connection for the data to be loaded for him? 

As in, If I am using Azure SQL database as data source, then will I need to give access to the end user of the database for him to access the information properly?

Please note: Here not sharing the dataset means unchecking the option that appears while I share the report with others as shown below:

PC2790_0-1618828543371.png

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PC2790 

Please read the following content.

1) If I am sharing my only report and not the dataset (mode used direct query) from a workspace backed by Premium Capacity, then will a person having access to the same workspace able to see the dataset?

It depends on which role a person is in the workspace. If a person has a role of Admin, Member or Contributor in the workspace, he can see all contents (reports, dashboards, datasets, dataflows) in the workspace. If a person only has a role of Viewer in the workspace, he can only see reports and dashboards. He cannot see datasets and dataflows in the workspace.

2) If I share the same report and again not the dataset from my worspace, will the dataset be visible?

If you share the report not the dataset directly with a person who has no access to the same workspace, he cannot see the dataset. He can only see the content in the report. 

3) if I share the report outside the organisation, will I need to give that person the access to the source of Direct query connection for the data to be loaded for him? 

No, you don't need to give the person access to the data source.

4) As in, If I am using Azure SQL database as data source, then will I need to give access to the end user of the database for him to access the information properly?

No, you don't need to give end users access to the database. When you use the data source in Direct Query mode for a dataset, you need to configure data source credentials on dataset settings page. The data source credentials are used to connect to the database and query the required data. When end users use the report, their queries will all be sent to the database with this stored credentials.

Kindly let me know if you have other concerns.

Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PC2790 

Please read the following content.

It depends on which role a person is in the workspace. If a person has a role of Admin, Member or Contributor in the workspace, he can see all contents (reports, dashboards, datasets, dataflows) in the workspace. If a person only has a role of Viewer in the workspace, he can only see reports and dashboards. He cannot see datasets and dataflows in the workspace.

If you share the report not the dataset directly with a person who has no access to the same workspace, he cannot see the dataset. He can only see the content in the report. 

No, you don't need to give the person access to the data source.

4) As in, If I am using Azure SQL database as data source, then will I need to give access to the end user of the database for him to access the information properly?

No, you don't need to give end users access to the database. When you use the data source in Direct Query mode for a dataset, you need to configure data source credentials on dataset settings page. The data source credentials are used to connect to the database and query the required data. When end users use the report, their queries will all be sent to the database with this stored credentials.

Kindly let me know if you have other concerns.

Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Bingo!

Thanks.. This explanation is exactly how the service is behaving.

This clears it up for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.