Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

krypto6969
Helper I
Helper I

Direct Query - can't change?

Hi,

I am new to Power BI.

I think I used direct query to create my dashboard. How can I tell?

And it sounds like there is no way to change my dash to use direct query? I have to start completly over?? What If I export the template?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@krypto6969 To be able to change from directquery to import, in your report on bottom right hand screen you will see option that says directquery enabled, click to change. If you've connected via Import then you can't change to DirectQuery unless you build again from scratch. There are few ways to tell if your report is using directquery and easiest way is if you're missing data modelling part that of three tabs on left hand screen you're only seeing two then you're using directquery. In queryeditor you can also click on settings icon and that will also tell you which mechanism you're using. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SamLester
Employee
Employee

For the first part of the question:

In Power BI Desktop, if you are connected by Direct Query, you'll see the following message in the status bar at the bottom:

DirectQuery.png

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@krypto6969 To be able to change from directquery to import, in your report on bottom right hand screen you will see option that says directquery enabled, click to change. If you've connected via Import then you can't change to DirectQuery unless you build again from scratch. There are few ways to tell if your report is using directquery and easiest way is if you're missing data modelling part that of three tabs on left hand screen you're only seeing two then you're using directquery. In queryeditor you can also click on settings icon and that will also tell you which mechanism you're using. 

"If you've connected via Import then you can't change to DirectQuery unless you build again from scratch."

Is this still the case?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.