Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jan_Hob
Helper I
Helper I

Direct Query and PostgreSQL

Hi

I have connected to a PostgreSQL database using an ODBC connection. However I now want to connect a single table direct query. Is it possible to do this in any way?

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Jan_Hob 

You may have to use npgsql then use powerbi connector to achieve dq mode.

vjaneygmsft_0-1651114582942.png

Reference:

Power Query PostgreSQL connector - Power Query | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kashishmatta1
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Jan_Hob , I am in a same situation, can you please help if you were you able to find a solution for this? I am getting below error while Configuring credentials on power bi services. I am able to connect it in desktop (using Direct Query mode) but can't connect it on services.
error.PNG

Hi @kashishmatta1 Sorry I abandoned this so can't be of any assistance

brandon061017
Frequent Visitor

Same question here! Documentation says supports Direct Query/Live, but can't find any way to do it. Everyone says to do it in the service, you have to use ODBC which doesn't support direct query. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks!

None of these links work. They highlight issues and show the ODBC solution, which doesn't support direct query) as well as one hosted on AWS. On the microsoft documentation it says postgresql itself (standard connector) can be done in direct query mode. Is this not possible in the service?

Thank you. I have already looked at those sources and cannot find any reference to direct query. I am hesitant to switch to npgsql unless it will guarantee that I can then do direct query.

Hi, @Jan_Hob 

You may have to use npgsql then use powerbi connector to achieve dq mode.

vjaneygmsft_0-1651114582942.png

Reference:

Power Query PostgreSQL connector - Power Query | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.