Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jderekc
Helper IV
Helper IV

Direct Query - Visual cannot be displayed and search oddity

I am encountering the following error only when using the search functionality on one of my drop-down slicers:

cantdisplayvisual.PNG

I have not made any modeling changes to my query as that is not supported by direct query and instead only by import.  This is all raw data coming out of SQL.  The only thing I DID add was a calculated column to concatenate two string values.  This affects one where the data is stored as text even though all characters are numbers.  The other drop-downs can't perform search functionality.

If I have items in the drop-down and then proceed to type in the first few characters of one of those that I KNOW exist, it comes up blank.  I have to type the entire thing before seeing it show up in the results.

blanksearch.PNG

blanksearch2.PNG

Any clue as to what is happening here?

Thanks,

Derek

4 REPLIES 4
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jderekc,

As I tested, I also use the Direct Query model, and the search function of dropdown in slicer works fine as follows.

1.PNG

What's your version of desktop? Please update it to the latest one and check if it works fine.

Best Regards,
Angelia

I downloaded the most up-to-date Power BI Desktop as you indicated but the issue still persists.  Note that this doesn't affect all my reports with Direct Query... just this one so far.

I verified that the issue exists in another report as well.  It's a very simple report with just one drop-down and in that drop-down I can't filter on part of the string (an item description) but can key in the concatenated end of the string (item number).  This seems to be an issue with Power BI and not just one of my reports.

Hi @jderekc,

The similar issue has been reported before, and it shows resolved status. While I can't reproduce your issue, so you'd better create a support ticket on the right-bottom of this page.

Thanks,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.