Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rwcampbell
Helper II
Helper II

Direct Query Text String to Date Help

hello

i have data that is coming from our servers as a text string of yyyymmdd but i would like it to be dd mmmm yyyy but when i do it wont let me on the editor and throws an error of wanting it in local which is no use to me.

i would like it to run with the errors showing as 0 or blank but i have hit a brick wall in options.

All help will be great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @rwcampbell, you should be able to fix this by adjusting the Calculated Column to the following:

Col_Date = IF ('TableName'[ColumnName] = 0 , BLANK () , DATE ( LEFT ( [ColumnName] , 4 ) , MID ( [ColumnName], 5 , 2 ) , RIGHT ( [ColumnName] , 2 ) ) )

Basically you want to wrap the Calculated Column in a formula that says if it is 0 then return nothing, otherwise convert YYYYMMDD to the date in the requested date format.

Let me know how it goes.

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
smpa01
Super User
Super User

@rwcampbell  can you not do this transformation on the server side using native server language, for example SQL?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
TheoC
Super User
Super User

@rwcampbell if you have tried @amitchandak solution and it doesn't resolve (it likely will solve your problem though), you can use dax to format the output as per this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-convert-text-20150714-to-date/m-p/90886

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

@rwcampbell did you try this approach? 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rwcampbell , check if that format is taken as date. Because then you choose a display format from the format in column tools

Also, check if format function is allowed in the direct query, that can help

how would i check this?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-data-categorization

Thanks @TheoC  how do i check the below 

Also, check if format function is allowed in the direct query, that can help

Hi @rwcampbell 

You can check this by clicking on the the respective field in the Fields pane, then going up to the ribbon and clicking "Column Tools".  Under that tab, you will find the Data Type and Format for the specific field.  Refer below:

TheoC_1-1634868421708.png

Basically, if Data Type is Text and Format is Text, then you can create a Calculated Column using the following:

Col_Date = DATE ( LEFT ( [ColumnName] , 4 ) , MID ( [ColumnName] , 5 , 2 ) , RIGHT ( [ColumnName] , 2 ) )

Alternatively, if your Data Type is "Date", then all you need to do is click on the "Format" drop down, and select the Date Format that you want.

Hope this helps 🙂

rwcampbell_0-1634900962879.png

@TheoC this is what i get when i created the collumn 

@rwcampbell I will look into this error but I am wondering if it is a permissions issue. I'll get back to you shortly!

@rwcampbell https://rohitvangala.wordpress.com/2017/02/02/error-the-exception-was-raised-by-idatareader-interfac...

please refer to this link to better understand the error.

Hi @TheoC it looks like there is 0s on the collum coming from the spreadsheet - how can i fix this without turning the report into import mode only?

Hi @rwcampbell, you should be able to fix this by adjusting the Calculated Column to the following:

Col_Date = IF ('TableName'[ColumnName] = 0 , BLANK () , DATE ( LEFT ( [ColumnName] , 4 ) , MID ( [ColumnName], 5 , 2 ) , RIGHT ( [ColumnName] , 2 ) ) )

Basically you want to wrap the Calculated Column in a formula that says if it is 0 then return nothing, otherwise convert YYYYMMDD to the date in the requested date format.

Let me know how it goes.

Theo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.