Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MikeMCFRS
Helper III
Helper III

Direct Query SQL Server Database

Hi All,

I am currently working on project- Dashboard- and I used direct query to connect to a SQL databse server. The goal is to have a dashboard that updates/refreshes based on the data from the server.

I have a couple of questions as follows
a)what will happen to the main data source is If I use the query editor to clean up/modify the various tables to suit the needs of my project

b) I have read elsewhere that direct query can impact performance and calculation functions. Is this the case?? Do I use the import option instead and will that help with refreshing in powerbi service??

c) I have a total of 15 tables in the particular databse name that I am using for the project. All the tables have systemID and primary key. Will the system key be the best way to connect all the tables??

Your kind ideas are welcome

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Couple thoughts,

a) Queries are read only, the source data will remain the source data regardless of modifications made in the query

b) So, with Direct Query you are making a call to the source whenever calculations are made and visuals are displayed. So, depending on numerous factors, yes there can be a performance impact. Import models can help address these as all of the data is then stored in the Power BI Service

c) Sounds like the way to go, but would need to fully understand your data model to be certain

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Couple thoughts,

a) Queries are read only, the source data will remain the source data regardless of modifications made in the query

b) So, with Direct Query you are making a call to the source whenever calculations are made and visuals are displayed. So, depending on numerous factors, yes there can be a performance impact. Import models can help address these as all of the data is then stored in the Power BI Service

c) Sounds like the way to go, but would need to fully understand your data model to be certain

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler wrote:

Couple thoughts,

Hello Greg, Many thanks for sharing your thoughts on this case. Is it possible for you to remote in to see my model??

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.