Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct Query Report - how to create left join relationship

Hello,

I need to create a report with direct query for two data sources, from different servers. I am trying to create a relationship between the two sources, but it behaves as an inner join and I would need a left join between the tables. Can this be achieved?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous logically you don't specify the join type in a relationship? What makes you think it is inner join and what you are trying to achieve with outer join? Can you share sample data and expected output.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello @parry2k 

I cannot specify the type of join when creating the realtionship, as you can see below. The output of this relationship is only the common title_ids between the two tables.

What I need is all the title_ids from the Query1, even if they have or not a correspondent in the TITLE table. Thank you.

relationship.png

@Anonymous it  depends on which table you are using for titles, if you use it from query 1, you will see all the titles. As a better design, Title should always have value that is in Query1 but I know sometime these things are not possible.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @parry2k ,

I am using TitleID from query1, but I want to display next to it the title name from the other table. When I add the title_name in a visual I get no results for the titles which are not found in the second table. I am not sure how I could get all title_ids and their associated title_names, if any.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.