Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Riran
Helper I
Helper I

Direct Query Power BI Dataset : Permissions

Hello,

I'm testing the DirectQuery to Power BI Datasets in our organisation at the moment and am trying to understand the permissions required in order to effectively use the 'Make change...' option.

We have a several centrally controlled and curated data model published as datasets in a single workspace - the idea being that all the 'golden source' datasets are stored in a single location my team can manage. Analysts outside of my team can't access the workspace but have 'build' permissions on these datasets so can connect to them and create reports which they then publish in their own reporting workspaces.

I've enabled the preview feature for direct query to Power BI datasets, and have myself been able to connect to one of these models and then create a local version which I can edit and add to. However, when I've tested this with some of the analysts in the business they get a permission error when trying to do the same. The only difference between us appears to be that I'm Admin of the central dataset workspace, whereas the Analysts only access them through having read/build permission on the individual datasets themselves.

Is Workspace membership a requirement? At what level - for example is 'Viewer' enough? 

It's a great feature, but I'm finding it a little frustrating at the moment if I have to give access to a centrally controlled dataset workspace to everyone instead of managing permissions on a dataset by dataset basis.

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Checked with my tenant admins - they did not touch anything there when the composite model was rolled out.  We have not extensively tested the "make changes"  part yet - will report back if I find anything.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The users of your dataset also need build access to the inherited dataset.  As I understand it this requirement is being disputed as excessive at the moment.

Thanks for the reply. As mentioned, the users have build access to the dataset and are able to connect to it and build their own reports from it. It's only when trying to use the new preview features that a permission problem appears. 

I'm assuming there must be a tenant setting I've missed somewhere.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is this on Premium or not?  On Premium you would give (at least on the surface) access to the app, not the workspace/dataset (but it is still problematic as you need to make sure each user of your dataset als has permissions to the datasets your dataset connects to via direct query.

We are using Premium yes. It's this feature that we're having issues with:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Share-your-thoughts-on-DirectQuery-for-Power-BI-datasets-an...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.