Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct Query On SQL Server on Windows Authentication

Hi ,

I had a power bi report which had connected to a SQL server using direct query.I used a database user to connect to the server. Now they have upgarded the database and our infrastructure team gave me a windows user to logging to the new server. I changed the data source of my earlier report to  new server (using alternate windows authentication domain\userid) but it gives me following error. Does any one know the solution for this? Is direct query is not possible under windows authentication ?

error3.PNG

Regards,

Maddy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

I raised a Microsoft ticket regarding this issue. Their solution was this is not possible unless my windows user(AD user) has the access to the database. Since my AD user doesn't have access to the database i had to switch all my reports in to import mode. Direct query was not possible for my case.

Regards,

Maddy

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

I raised a Microsoft ticket regarding this issue. Their solution was this is not possible unless my windows user(AD user) has the access to the database. Since my AD user doesn't have access to the database i had to switch all my reports in to import mode. Direct query was not possible for my case.

Regards,

Maddy

Hi Maddy,

Thank you very much for sharing. This is really a big help to the Community.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Maddy,

The error message is clear. This isn't supported by now. There is a workaround. Actually this post is quite clear and very helpful. Please go to there for details. I tested it successfully. I will post some snapshot of my test here.

Direct Query On SQL Server on Windows Authentication1.jpg 

Reference: http://www.pseale.com/pretend-youre-on-the-domain-with-runas-netonly

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3250/connect-to-sql-servers-in-another-domain-using-windows-a...

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply. I have also tried this method. But once i logged in to the power bi as another user i couldnt login to my powerbi user and publish the report. 

Hi @Anonymous,

One problem is we have to open Desktop this way every time we open the file. I tested it. I can switch user freely. A proper gateway is needed. 

Are there any error messages?

Direct Query On SQL Server on Windows Authentication2.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft

Loggin to power bi with a different user working fine. when i login i get following.

error1.PNG

Since i already have a power bi account i click on "Already have a Power BI account? Sign In" at the bottom. Then it asks me to enter the email address

error2pbi.PNG

Then i give the email address of my pbi account and click sign in . After that nothing happens. It didnt ask me a password or any thing. My pbi account doesnt change.  Smiley Sad 

error3.PNG

My report connects to the datasource without any issue (Direct Query). Only problem i have now is i can't publish the report.

Regards,

Maddy

Hi Maddy,

You can login in the Desktop first. Then do as my last post. I tested it successfully. You need use Windows authentication when you configure a data gateway.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.