Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wdeveloper
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query Limit Rows in Table for Export

I have a Table in my Power BI Report using direct query mode. I want to be able to identify not query the database if there will be more than 1 million rows returned due to the direct query mode limitation, or just that the data set will be too large to extract due to the 16MB uncompressed data limitation. I was thinking of creating a rowcount or identifying number of rows in the table to do this.

Is there a way that I can count the rows in my table, or count the rows that will be returned in the table easily? I've searched other options but all are too performance intensive because they require calculated table.

Is there another way that I can determine if the "filter set" is too broad to handle? I have lots of filters, so checking 1 filter is not really an option, and some filters have a significant impact vs. others are not, so I'd prefer not to check filters.

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@wdeveloper ,

In power query-> Transform and click count rows, you can achieve how many rows in your table. 

Capture.PNG 

About the second question, could you explain more about " I can determine if the "filter set" is too broad to handle"?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I am trying to dynamically count the rows in the data table visual, not the overall rows in the query table so this won't work unfortunately.

Related to the "fitler set" being too broad, basically if the table visual is going to produce too many rows to be viewed or exported.

@wdeveloper ,

You need to use dax instead of power query.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am using DAX.... 

@wdeveloper ,

Could you please share the dax code of your measure? This issue should be related to your measure.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.