Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpd99
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query Errors usign PostgreSQL

I have been trying in vain for days to create a direct query report drawing from a postgresql database now that this is supposedly supported.  Upon closing and re-opening an otherwise functioning report I get an error message: 'Couldn't load the data for this visual' across all visuals.

'Direct query may not be used with this data source - consider moving to a supported data source or upgrading the SQL server data source to the latest available version.'

I can't understand the failure since on saving the report worked ok.  It's extremely lim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jpd99 ,

Currently, power bi doesn't support direct query/live connection with PostgreSQL data source. Please refer to doc below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-data-sources

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ikris

I encountered the same issue and I found a work around.

I installed a gateway and configured it to point to that postgres instance server, this acted sort of like a help for the data source to find a route and authenticate without encryption. However i observed that the direct query could now connect and if I changed data and refreshed on the dashboard, i would see the changes.

ikris_1-1603545947809.png

The only draw back was the gateway needs to be up, but the direct query works just fine

would love to hear from someone how many rules I have broken or any better option.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jpd99 ,

Currently, power bi doesn't support direct query/live connection with PostgreSQL data source. Please refer to doc below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-data-sources

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.